Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
You’re tired from the human race, so you decide to help an advanced alien civilization destroy the Earth – What tips would you give them?
On This Day In History for April 29, 2020
This is the 120th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 246 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1770, that James Cook arrived in Australia at Botany Bay, which he names.
- On April 29, 1834, Charles Darwin during the second survey voyage of HMS Beagle, ascended the Bell mountain, Cerro La Campana on 17 August 1834, his visit being commemorated by a memorial plaque..
- It was 156 years ago today, that Theta Xi fraternity was founded at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the only fraternity to be founded during the American Civil War..
- It was on this date in 1953, that The first U.S. experimental 3D television broadcast showed an episode of Space Patrol on Los Angeles ABC affiliate KECA-TV.
- 55 years ago today, Pakistan’s Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) successfully launched its seventh rocket in its Rehber series.
- Also on April 29, 1986, American and European spy satellites captured the ruins of the 4th Reactor at the Chernobyl Power Plant.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician, physicist, and engineer, Henri Poincaré, born on this date in 1854.
- Forest Ray Moulton, the American astronomer and academic was born 148 years ago today.
- Born April 29, 1893, American chemist and astronomer, Nobel Prize laureate Harold Urey.
- Marietta Blau, the Austrian physicist and academic was born 126 years ago today.
- American pianist, composer, and bandleader, Duke Ellington, born on this date in 1899.
- Henry H. Barschall, German-American physicist and academic was born on that same date in 1915.
- Also turning 74 today is Polish astronomer Aleksander Wolszczan.
- Also born on that same date in 1954, American comedian, actor, and producer, Jerry Seinfeld.
- American actress, Kate Mulgrew is 65 today.
- Also turning 64 today is American physicist and philosopher Karen Barad.
- American actress, Eve Plumb is 62 today.
Listener birthdays this week (April 29-May 5)
- April 29 – Shepherd Thom from outside of the known universe
- April 29 – Timothy Karre
- April 30 – Julio Diaz (JulioTijuana)
- May 3 – Keao Wright
- May 3 – Leon
- May 5 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 29, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- This Abandoned Computer Store Is a Time Capsule of Early 2000s Tech – VICE
- Here’s an unprecedented look at Apollo 13’s damaged service module | Ars Technica
- The Space Shuttle Was a Beautiful—but Terrible—Idea
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Mobile astronomy: Put the Milky Way in your pocket with ‘Our Galaxy’ smartphone app | Space
- Someone Edited Every Star Wars Movie To Play At Once, And I Can’t Look Away – CINEMABLEND
Hand me the remote
- Devs (Hulu) 6/10
- “Devs” is an FX limited series that focuses on a young software engineer named Lily Chan who works for Amaya, a cutting-edge tech company based in Silicon Valley. After her boyfriend Sergei’s apparent suicide, Lily suspects foul play and begins to investigate. She quickly realizes that all roads lead to Forest, Amaya’s enigmatic CEO, and Devs, the company’s secret development division. In Lily’s quest to discover the truth, she uncovers a technology-based conspiracy that could change the world.
- Middleditch & Schwartz
Comedy duo Thomas Middleditch and Ben Schwartz improvise performances based on audience suggestions, from NYU Skirball Center for the Performing Arts in New York City.
- Is That A Planet, A Star Or A SpaceX Starlink Satellite? The Stargazing Apps You Need During Lockdown
Question of the week:
- What movies could have been much shorter if the main characters just used a little common sense?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five