Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Talk to Jack about Kickstarter
- He has a couple of stories
- What movie did you start watching then said: “Screw it, I’m not finishing this”?
On This Day In History for April 22, 2020
This is the 113rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 253 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1500, that Portuguese navigator Pedro Álvares Cabral landed in Brazil.
- Also on April 22, 1864, The U.S. Congress passed the Coinage Act of 1864 that mandates that the inscription In God We Trust be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
- It was also this date in 1876 that The first game in the history of the National League was played at the Jefferson Street Grounds in Philadelphia. This game is often pointed to as the beginning of the MLB.
- On April 22, 1889, At noon, thousands rushed to claim land in the Land Rush of 1889. Within hours the cities of Oklahoma City and Guthrie are formed with populations of at least 10,000.
- Also today in 1944, The 1st Air Commando Group using Sikorsky R-4 helicopters staged the first use of helicopters in combat with combat search and rescue operations in the China Burma India Theater.
- It was also this date in 1954 that witnesses begin testifying and live television coverage of the Army-McCarthy hearings began.
- Also on April 22, 1970, The first Earth Day is celebrated.
- It was on this date in 1977, that Optical fiber is first used to carry live telephone traffic.
- That same date in 2008, The United States Air Force retired the remaining F-117 Nighthawk aircraft in service.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German astronomer and mathematician, Wilhelm Schickard, born on this date in 1592.
- Harold Jeffreys, English mathematician, geophysicist, and astronomer was born on that same date in 1891.
- Born April 22, 1904, American physicist and academic J. Robert Oppenheimer.
- Norman Steenrod, the American mathematician and academic was born 110 years ago today.
- German mathematician and academic, Hanfried Lenz was born 104 years ago today.
- Aaron Spelling, American actor, producer, and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1923.
- Welsh-American chemist and astronaut, Anthony Llewellyn, born on this date in 1933.
- Glen Campbell, the American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and actor was born 84 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1937, American actor and producer, Jack Nicholson.
- American author, Janet Evanovich is 77 today.
- Also turning 70 today is English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer Peter Frampton.
- Also born on that same date in 1959, American-Canadian actor and producer, Ryan Stiles.
Listener Birthdays Week of April 22-28
- 23 – Runtime
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 22, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- NASA sets launch date for SpaceX US manned mission to space station – Science & Tech – The Jakarta Post
- A key brain region for controlling binge drinking has been found | MUSC | Charleston, SC
- NASA discovery of planet remarkably like ours gives hope for ‘second Earth’ – CNET
- Photos: NASA’s Curiosity team is controlling Mars rover from home
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Hand Me The Remote
(What are you watching/finished)
- Carnival Row – finished – 8/10
- A growing population of mythological immigrant creatures struggles to coexist with humans after the creatures’ exotic homelands are invaded by the empires of man. The creatures are forbidden to live, love or fly with freedom, but hope lives in darkness. Human detective Rycroft “Philo” Philostrate and a refugee faerie, Vignette Stonemoss, rekindle a dangerous affair despite being in an increasingly intolerant society. Vignette has a secret that endangers Philo’s world during his most important case yet — a string of gruesome murders threatening the uneasy peace of the Row.
- Carnival Row – finished – 8/10
Question of the week:
- You’re tired from the human race, so you decide to help an advanced alien civilization destroy the Earth, what tips would you give them?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five