Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
“Hey fellas! Good to hear Technorama again after that hiatus. Funny enough, my receipt for tonight’s dinner was quite apropos for your return, so I thought I’d share. 🙂
Also from Claudio
Kind of a follow-up to my last email, I noticed the duration of episode 567 that I just downloaded today (2019-06-26).
Very fitting, IMO. 🙂
Mike Wills – Private/Public calendar appointments (Ep 563)
In our environment for some reason the calendar details are public by default. So then the private appointments makes sense. However if I’m out for anything, I usually just put “Out of Office” on the block and leave it at that. My personal calendar is for my private appointments.
On This Day In History for July 3, 2019
This is the 184th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 181 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1608, that Québec City is founded by Samuel de Champlain.
- Pitcairn Island is discovered by Midshipman Robert Pitcairn on an expeditionary voyage commanded by Philip Carteret on this date in 1767.
- 252 years ago today, Norway’s oldest newspaper still in print, Adresseavisen, is founded and the first edition is published.
- Also today in 1819, The Bank for Savings in the City of New-York, the first savings bank in the United States, opens.
- The last pair of great auks is killed on this date in 1844.
- It was also this date in 1852 that Congress establishes the United States’ 2nd mint in San Francisco.
- That same date in 1884, Dow Jones & Company publishes its first stock average.
- July 3, 1886, Karl Benz officially unveils the Benz Patent-Motorwagen, the first purpose-built automobile.
- 133 years ago today, The New-York Tribune becomes the first newspaper to use a linotype machine, eliminating typesetting by hand.
- It was 81 years ago today, that World speed record for a steam locomotive is set in England, by the Mallard, which reaches a speed of 125.88 miles per hour (202.58 km/h).
- July 3, 1962, Jackie Robinson becomes the first African American to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- The biggest explosion in the history of rocketry occurs when the Soviet N-1 rocket explodes and subsequently destroys its launchpad on this date in 1969.
- On July 3, 1996, Stone of Scone is returned to Scotland.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Danish botanist and physicist, Ferdinand Didrichsen, born on this date in 1814.
- Alfred Korzybski, Polish-American mathematician, linguist, and philosopher was born on that same date in 1879.
- Jesse Douglas, the American mathematician and academic was born 122 years ago today.
- Edward Brandt, Jr., American physician and mathematician was born on that same date in 1933.
- Also turning 84 today is American geologist, astronaut, and politician Harrison Schmitt.
- American astronaut, Norman E. Thagard, born on this date in 1943.
- American singer-songwriter, Laura Branigan was born 67 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, American actress, voice actress, comedian and writer who voices Lisa Simpson in the American animated sitcom, The Simpsons, Yeardley Smith.
- 04 – Mike McBride
- 06 – Peter(1982, Sweden)
- 08 – Trampas Whiteman (aka Dragonhelm)
- 08 – Mark Lee (aka geekdad72) Stardate -351519.09
- 08 – Alan Ralph (a.k.a. MonTemplar)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 3, 2019
- Astronomers discover the source of unexplained cosmic radio burst – CNET
- NASA will fly a drone to Titan to search for life | News | Al Jazeera
- New EU rule says EVs have to sound like traditional cars
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Your Name Here|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- If you could “install” one update to your body, what would it be?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five