Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for July 10, 2019
This is the 191st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 174 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1212, that The most severe of several early fires of London burns most of the city to the ground.
- It was also this date in 1499 that The Portuguese explorer Nicolau Coelho returns to Lisbon after discovering the sea route to India as a companion of Vasco da Gama.
- That same date in 1789, Alexander Mackenzie reaches the Mackenzie River delta.
- July 10, 1913, The temperature in Death Valley, California, hits 134 °F (57 °C), the highest temperature ever to be recorded on Earth.
- It was also this date in 1925 in Dayton, Tennessee, the so-called “Monkey Trial” begins of John T. Scopes, a young high school science teacher accused of teaching evolution in violation of the Butler Act.
- July 10, 1938, Howard Hughes begins a 91 hour airplane flight around the world that will set a new record.
- It was on this date in 1962, that Telstar, the world’s first communications satellite, is launched into orbit.
- On July 10, 1966, The Chicago Freedom Movement, led by Martin Luther King, Jr., holds a rally at Soldier Field in Chicago. As many as 60,000 people attend.
- Also today in 1978, ABC World News Tonight premieres on ABC.
- On July 10, 1997, In London, scientists report the findings of the DNA analysis of a Neanderthal skeleton which supports the “out of Africa theory” of human evolution, placing an “African Eve” at 100,000 to 200,000 years ago.
- 19 years ago today, EADS, the world’s second-largest aerospace group is formed by the merger of Aérospatiale-Matra, DASA, and CASA.
- Also on July 10, 2007, Erden Eruç begins the first solo human-powered circumnavigation of the world.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English mathematician and astronomer, Roger Cotes, born on this date in 1682.
- Friedrich August von Quenstedt, German geologist and palaeontologist was born on that same date in 1809.
- Alvan Graham Clark, the American astronomer was born 187 years ago today.
- German brewer, co-founded Anheuser-Busch, Adolphus Busch was born 180 years ago today.
- Born July 10, 1856, Serbian-American physicist and engineer Nikola Tesla.
- Carl Orff, German composer and educator was born on that same date in 1895.
- German chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Kurt Alder was born 117 years ago today.
- David Brinkley, American journalist was born on that same date in 1920.
- Owen Chamberlain, the American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 99 years ago today.
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver, American activist, co-founded the Special Olympics was born on that same date in 1921.
- American actor, Fred Gwynne was born 93 years ago today.
- Russian mathematician and academic, Grigory Barenblatt, born on this date in 1927.
- Belarusian general, pilot, and astronaut, Pyotr Klimuk is 77 today.
- Born July 10, 1945, American actor Ron Glass.
- Also turning 72 today is American singer-songwriter, producer, and actor Arlo Guthrie.
- American singer-songwriter, actress, and fashion designer, Jessica Simpson is 39 today.
- 10 – KHD a.k.a. The Devin
- 11 – Steven Truax (rednecktech)
- 12 – Shadowbird712 of Shadowbird Studios (http://shadowbirdsrandomcrap.blogspot.com/) (Sorry for the cheap plug, y’all)
- 12 – François Pominville nickname: Bookaroo (Year: 11110110001, Canada)
- 13 – Ben Ragunton of TGGeeks
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 10, 2019
- NASA Telescopes Reveal the Atmosphere of A Strange Hybrid Exoplanet – Universe Today
- A Drone, a $12,000 Lens, and the Magic of a Total Solar Eclipse | WIRED
- Scientists attempting to open a portal to a parallel universe | The Independent
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Boston Dynamics robot has had enough (2019) : fakehistoryporn
- Kreg and Harrison saw Spider-man FFH at a Drive-in
Question of the week
- What is your go to video game past or present?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five