Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for June 26, 2019
This is the 177th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 188 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1409, that the Roman Catholic Church is led into a double schism as Petros Philargos is crowned Pope Alexander V after the Council of Pisa, joining Pope Gregory XII in Rome and Pope Benedict XII in Avignon.
- It was 225 years ago today, the Battle of Fleurus marked the first successful military use of aircraft.
- Treaty of Nanking comes into effect, Hong Kong Island is ceded to the British “in perpetuity” on this date in 1843.
- It was on this date in 1870, that The Christian holiday of Christmas is declared a federal holiday in the United States.
- It was also this date in 1886 that Henri Moissan isolated elemental Fluorine for the first time.
- June 26, 1906, The first Grand Prix motor racing event held.
- That same date in 1909, The Science Museum in London comes into existence as an independent entity.
- Also today in 1927, The Cyclone roller coaster opens on Coney Island.
- It was also this date in 1934 that United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Federal Credit Union Act, which establishes credit unions.
- June 26, 1936, Initial flight of the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, the first practical helicopter.
- On June 26, 1942, The first flight of the Grumman F6F Hellcat.
- It was also this date in 1945 that The United Nations Charter is signed by 50 Allied nations in San Francisco, California.
- On June 26, 1948, William Shockley files the original patent for the grown-junction transistor, the first bipolar junction transistor.
- It was also this date in 1963 that U.S. President John F. Kennedy gave his “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech, underlining the support of the United States for democratic West Germany shortly after Soviet-supported East Germany erected the Berlin Wall.
- Also today in 1974, The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley’s chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio.
- Elvis Presley held his final concert in Indianapolis, Indiana at Market Square Arena on this date in 1977.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swedish chemist and mineralogist, Georg Brandt, born on this date in 1694.
- French astronomer and academic, Charles Messier was born 289 years ago today.
- Gauhar Jaan, One of the first performers to record music on 78 rpm records in India. was born on that same date in 1873.
- German mathematician and logician, Leopold Löwenheim was born 141 years ago today.
- Willy Messerschmitt, German engineer, and businessman was born on that same date in 1898.
- Frank Scott Hogg, the Canadian astronomer and academic was born 115 years ago today.
- Slovak-American actor and singer, Peter Lorre, born on this date in 1904.
- Maurice Wilkes, English computer scientist and physicist was born on that same date in 1913.
- American computer scientist, Robert Everett is 98 today.
- Russian soldier, pilot, and astronaut, Pavel Belyayev was born 94 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter and musician, Patty Smyth, born on this date in 1957.
- American actor, Chris O’Donnell is 49 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1993, American singer-songwriter, dancer, and actress, Ariana Grande.
- Also turning 20 today is American actress Harley Quinn Smith.
- 26 – Patrick Norton
- 26 – Daughter of Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Jordan Burkhead, daughter of Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Martin McKeay (Accch, this is the Big 40!)
- 30 – Alexis Duran (ADdude)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 26, 2019
- USB inventor admits that the plugs are annoying / Boing Boing
- Scientists Have Discovered the Most Earth-Like Exoplanet
- A new camera can photograph you from 45 kilometers away – MIT Technology Review
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30 PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills (1.01)|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return, we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- The Discovery of Alien Life Is Coming Much Sooner Than You Think | Inverse
- Adam Savage – Every Tool is a Hammer
Question of the week:
- What’s something that still blows your mind even though most people don’t find it to be a big deal?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five