Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Email from Kyle
- QOTW: What is your definitive go to productivity tip to get things done?
On This Day In History for March 22, 2023
This is the 81st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 284 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1508, that Ferdinand II of Aragon commissioned Amerigo Vespucci chief navigator of the Spanish Empire.
- It was 392 years ago today, that The Massachusetts Bay Colony outlawed the possession of cards, dice, and gaming tables.
- On March 22, 1895, Before the Société pour L’Encouragement à l’Industrie, brothers Auguste and Louis Lumière demonstrated movie film technology publicly for the first time.
- It was on this date in 1960, that Arthur Leonard Schawlow and Charles Hard Townes received the first patent for a laser
- On March 22, 1963, The Beatles released their debut album Please Please Me.
- March 22, 1982, NASA’s Space Shuttle Columbia was launched from the Kennedy Space Center on its third mission, STS-3
- The Intel Corporation shipped the first Pentium chips (80586), featuring a 60 MHz clock speed, 100+ MIPS, and a 64 bit data path on this date in 1993
- Also on March 22, 1995, Cosmonaut Valeri Polyakov returned to earth after setting a record of 438 days in space
- 26 years ago today, Comet Hale-Bopp reached its closest approach to Earth at 1.315 AU.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Persian astronomer and mathematician, Ulugh Beg, born on this date in 1394.
- Born March 22, 1785, English scientist Adam Sedgwick.
- Greek scientist, Anastassios Christomanos was born 182 years ago today.
- American novelist and short story writer, Louis L’Amour, born on this date in 1908.
- Werner Klemperer, German-American actor was born on that same date in 1920.
- Born March 22, 1924, American journalist and author, founded USA Today Al Neuharth.
- Russian test pilot, participant in the launch of the first artificial Earth satellite, Yevgeny Ostashev, born on this date in 1924.
- Also born on that same date in 1940, American physicist and inventor, George Edward Alcorn, Jr..
- Also turning 77 today is American mathematician, computer scientist, and author Rudy Rucker.
- 23 – Steve Riekeberg a.k.a. MissingIntellect of Geek Cred
- 23 – Richard Parkman
- 25 – Nicholas St Gabriel
- 26 – Chuck Tomasi
- 26 – Brina Baird in Hampton, VA
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 22, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- You can now run a GPT-3-level AI model on your laptop, phone, and Raspberry Pi | Ars Technica
- ARTEMIS: ‘World’s fastest’ humanoid robot readies for RoboCup (interestingengineering.com)
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:00PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- History of the Web – World Wide Web Foundation
- Apple, Atari, and Commodore, oh my! Explore a deluxe home vintage computer den | Ars Technica
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Your name here||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – The Banshees of Inisherin – Prime
- Chuck – The Chosen – Amazon
- Kreg – Shazam: Fury of the Gods – Theater
- Chuck – Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies and the Internet – Netflix
- Kreg – Last of Us (Finale) – HBOMax
- Kreg – Creed – HBOMax
Question of the week
- Name a product or service you love so much that you’d happily be that company’s spokesperson. Bonus for saying why.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can also find us on Spotify and Radio Public, Google Podcast, etc.
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five