Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What is the smallest hill you are willing to die on?
On This Day In History for January 4, 2023
This is the 4th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 361 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1854, that The McDonald Islands were discovered by Captain William McDonald aboard the Samarang.
- Also on January 4, 1903, Topsy, an elephant, was electrocuted by the owners of Luna Park, Coney Island. The Edison film company recorded the film Electrocuting an Elephant of Topsy’s death.
- It was also this date in 1958 that Sputnik 1, the first artificial Earth satellite, launched by the Soviet Union in 1957, fell to Earth from orbit.
- On January 4, 1959, Luna 1 became the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- Also January 4, 1975 was when the 12 -bit field that had been used in the TOPS-10 operating system overflowed. There were numerous problems and crashes related to this bug while an alternative format was developed.
- Also today in 2004, Spirit, a NASA Mars rover, landed successfully on Mars at 04:35 UTC.
- On January 4, 2010, The Burj Khalifa, the current tallest building in the world, officially opened in Dubai.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English mathematician and physicist (d. 1726/27), NS) – Isaac Newton, born on this date in 1643.
- Born January 4, 1838, American circus performer General Tom Thumb.
- Carl Humann, German archaeologist, architect, and engineer was born on that same date in 1839.
- American engineer and businessman, co-founded Grumman Aeronautical Engineering Co., Leroy Grumman was born 128 years ago today.
- American actress, director, producer, and screenwriter, Dyan Cannon, born on this date in 1937.
- Also born on that same date in 1940, Welsh physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Brian Josephson.
- Also turning 78 today is American chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Richard R. Schrock.
- Also born on that same date in 1958, American-Canadian actor, Matt Frewer.
- 3 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
- 6 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
- 8 – Elvis!
- 9 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 4, 2023. If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Thanks for unique gift Brad!
- Thank you Clinton for the Isolinear Chips
- Kreg – Travel – Italy
- What did you get for Christmas
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Paul Maki||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – Black Adam – HBOMax
- Kreg – White Noise – Netflix
- Kreg – Avatar – Disney+
- Kreg – Star Trek Prodigy – Paramount+
- Kreg – Glass Onion: Knives Out – Netflix
- Kreg – Top Gun: Maverick – Paramount+
- Kreg – Fireplace 4K: Crackling Birchwood from Fireplace for Your Home – Netflix
Question of the week:
- What are you hopeful for in the new year? (Movies, Shows, anything)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five