Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What is your favorite desktop or mobile app?
- Krazy Joe
- Mad Marv
- Charging for these calls
On This Day In History for November 23, 2022
This is the 327th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 38 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1924, that Edwin Hubble’s discovery, that the Andromeda “nebula” is actually another island galaxy far outside our own Milky Way, was first published in The New York Times.
- It was also this date in 1963 that The BBC broadcasts An Unearthly Child (starring William Hartnell), the first episode of the first story from the first series of Doctor Who, which is now the world’s longest running science fiction drama.
- On November 23, 1972, The Soviet Union made its final attempt at launching the N1 rocket.
- The Geneva Frequency Plan of 1975 went into effect, realigning many of Europe’s longwave and mediumwave broadcasting frequencies. on this date in 1978
- 31 years ago today, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury announced in a statement that he was HIV-positive. He died the following day.
- It was 30 years ago today, that The first smartphone, the IBM Simon, was introduced at COMDEX in Las Vegas, Nevada
- It was on this date in 2001, that The Convention on Cybercrime was signed in Budapest, Hungary
- Also on November 23, 2015, Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle became the first rocket to successfully fly to space and then return to Earth for a controlled, vertical landing.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French astronomer and author, Pierre Charles Le Monnier, born on this date in 1715.
- English mathematician and author, Isaac Todhunter was born 202 years ago today.
- Johannes Diderik van der Waals, Dutch physicist and thermodynamicist, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1837.
- Born November 23, 1887, English physicist and chemist Henry Moseley.
- Anne Burns, British aeronautical engineer and glider pilot was born on that same date in 1915.
- Born November 23, 1924, English-American anthropologist and author Colin Turnbull.
- Also turning 59 today is American businesswoman, President and Chief Operating Officer of SpaceX Gwynne Shotwell.
- 25 – Lane Williams
- 26 – Joanie
- 27 – Brad P. from NJ(but who was born in VA, and has moved back there…)
- 28 – Ben Sweetser
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 23, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Where did Earth’s water come from? This meteorite might hold the answer
- Fred Brooks, Titan of Computer Science, Dies at 91
- How a common fungus eliminates toxic mercury from soil and water
Hacks & Strange Stories
- NFL Linebacker Retires After Selling Rare Pokémon Card For Over $650,000
- Roll the Radioactive Dice for Truly Random D&D Play
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Paul Maki||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – A Christmas Story Christmas – HBOMax
- Kreg – Captain Phillips – Netflix
- Kreg – Nope – Peacock
- Chuck – Hey Pepsi, where’s my jet? – Netflix
- Chuck – Ancient Apocalypse – Netflix
- Chuck/Kreg – Wakanda Forever
Question of the week:
- Describe your favorite movie, tv or book in exactly 6 words?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five