Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: Question of the week…
- Email from Leon
On This Day In History for August 17, 2022
This is the 229th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 136 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1585, that A first group of colonists sent by Sir Walter Raleigh under the charge of Ralph Lane landed in the New World to create Roanoke Colony on Roanoke Island, off the coast of present-day North Carolina
- Also today in 1807, Robert Fulton’s North River Steamboat left New York City for Albany, New York, on the Hudson River, inaugurating the first commercial steamboat service in the world
- That same date in 1896, Bridget Driscoll became the first recorded case of a pedestrian killed in a collision with a motor car in the United Kingdom
- It was on this date in 1958, that Pioneer 0, America’s first attempt at lunar orbit, was launched using the first Thor-Able rocket and failed. Notable as one of the first attempted launches beyond Earth orbit by any country
- August 17, 1970, Venera 7 launched. It would later become the first spacecraft to successfully transmit data from the surface of another planet (Venus)
- 45 years ago today, the Soviet icebreaker Arktika became the first surface ship to reach the North Pole
- Also today in 1978, Double Eagle II became first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey, France near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American stage and film actress, Mae West, born on this date in 1893.
- Born August 17, 1896, American general and engineer Leslie Groves.
- Francis Gary Powers, the American captain and pilot was born 93 years ago today.
- American computer scientist, systems engineer, and business owner, Margaret Heafield Hamilton, born on this date in 1936.
- Also turning 79 today is American actor, entrepreneur, director, and producer Robert De Niro.
- American businessman, co-founded the Oracle Corporation, Larry Ellison, born on this date in 1944.
- Richard Hunt, American Muppet performer was born on that same date in 1951.
- American actor, director, and political activist, Sean Penn is 62 today.
- 17 – Clive Jevons, Baeumenheim German, Kevin (SusietheGeek’s son and Geek in Training)
- 19 – Brian Litecky (blitecky)
- 19 – Matt Rider (The Eagle Scout Geek )
- 20 – Jedi_Kez (aka Brian From Winnipeg)
- 22 – Zoidberg 
- 22 – Kyle Slingo
- 22 – AlchemyDragon
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 17, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- The Feds Published a List of Emoji Code for Drugs
- One more clue to the Moon’s origin
- Hubble sees red supergiant star Betelgeuse slowly recovering after blowing its top
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Therrien|
|Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Cursed (Netflix)
- Chuck: The Sandman (Netflix)
- Chuck: The Age of Adeline (Netflix)
- Chuck: FX Short Films (Hulu)
- Kreg: Light & Magic (Disney+)
- Kreg: Uncharted (Netflix)
Question of the week
- Ask us a Question?
Patreon Topic this week
- An infrequent domain visit
- It’s time for a Social Media Break
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five