Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for February 9, 2022
This is the 40th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 325 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1870, that US president Ulysses S. Grant signed a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau
- Also on February 9, 1895, William G. Morgan created a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball
- A group of meteors was visible across much of the eastern seaboard of the Americas, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth on this date in 1913
- On February 9, 1942, Year-round Daylight saving time (aka War Time) was reinstated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- Also on February 9, 1959, The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, became operational at Plesetsk, USSR
- It was on this date in 1964, that The Beatles made their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a record-setting audience of 73 million viewers across the United States
- Apollo 14 returned to Earth after the third manned Moon landing on this date in 1971
- 51 years ago today, Satchel Paige became the first Negro league player to be voted into the USA’s Baseball Hall of Fame
- It was on this date in 1978, that The Budd Company unveiled its first SPV-2000 self-propelled railcar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- February 9, 1986, Halley’s Comet last appeared in the inner Solar System
- On February 9, 1996, Copernicium was discovered, by Sigurd Hofmann, Victor Ninov et al.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Hungarian mathematician and academic, Farkas Bolyai, born on this date in 1775.
- German engineer and businessman, founded Maybach, Wilhelm Maybach was born 176 years ago today.
- Born February 9, 1865, German geographer and geophysicist Erich von Drygalski.
- Carmen Miranda, the Portuguese-Brazilian actress, singer, and dancer was born 113 years ago today.
- Born February 9, 1918, American chemist Lloyd Noel Ferguson.
- Also turning 79 today is American actor Joe Pesci.
- Also born on that same date in 1945, American mathematician and academic, Carol Wood.
- American actress, activist, and former fashion model, Mia Farrow is 77 today.
- Also turning 68 today is English cybernetics scientist Kevin Warwick.
- Also born on that same date in 1960, American biochemist and astronaut, Peggy Whitson.
- 9 – Podcast Mike Wills from Minnesota
- 10 – Zach Akgulian – Appleton, WI
- 10 – Drace (Shari from ND)
- 14 – Douglas E. Welch of Career Opportunities Podcast
- 14 – Andrew from Illinois
- 15 – Philip from Australia
- National pizza day
- National toothache day
- National bagel and lox day
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 9, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- New lightweight material is stronger than steel | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- ‘Terminator dog’ robots to be deployed on US border as Black Mirror ‘comes to life’ – Daily Star
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Space Shuttle Carrying 747 Was Secretly Modified To Defend Itself From Heat-Seeking Missiles (Updated)
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our Lives (Netflix)
- Chuck: How to become a Tyrant (Netflix)
- Kreg: Murderville (Netflix)
- Kreg: (Started) Reacher – (Amazon)
- Brian: The Sparks Brothers (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- Without using standard measurements of time, how old are you?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five