Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What are some of your Halloween Traditions?
On This Day In History for November 17, 2021
This is the 321st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 44 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1800, that The United States Congress held its first session in Washington, D.C
- On November 17, 1820, Captain Nathaniel Palmer became the first American to see Antarctica. (The Palmer Peninsula is later named after him.)
- It was 74 years ago today, that American scientists John Bardeen and Walter Houser Brattain observed the basic principles of the transistor, a key element for the electronics revolution of the 20th century
- Also on November 17, 1970, The Soviet Union landed Lunokhod 1 on Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains) on the Moon. This was the first roving remote-controlled robot to land on another world and is released by the orbiting Luna 17 spacecraft
- 48 years ago today, In Orlando, Florida, U.S. President Richard Nixon told 400 Associated Press managing editors “I am not a crook.”
- Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s tenure as the governor of California began on this date in 2003
- Also on November 17, 2019, The first known case of COVID-19 was traced to a 55 -year-old man who had visited a market in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German mathematician and astronomer, August Ferdinand Möbius, born on this date in 1790.
- Hungarian physicist and mathematician, Nobel Prize laureate, Eugene Wigner was born 119 years ago today.
- Soichiro Honda, Japanese engineer and businessman, co-founded the Honda Motor Company was born on that same date in 1906.
- Born November 17, 1917, American mathematician Ruth Aaronson Bari.
- Also born on that same date in 1938, Canadian singer-songwriter and guitarist, Gordon Lightfoot.
- American director, producer, screenwriter, and actor, Martin Scorsese, born on this date in 1942.
- Also turning 78 today is American model and actress Lauren Hutton.
- Nov 22 – Tom Posz – (from California, USA)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 17, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Ferris-wheel-size chunk of the moon is orbiting suspiciously close to Earth | Live Science
- NASA’s Perseverance rover scrapes at Martian rock to ‘look at something no one’s ever seen’ – CNN
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: The Bishop’s Wife – Netflix
- Chuck: Camp Confidential: America’s Secret Nazis – Netflix
- Chuck: Catching Killer’s S1 – Netflix
- Chuck: The Blacklist: S8 – Netflix
- Kreg: Springboard – The Verge
- Kreg: Red Notice – Netflix
- Kreg: Shang-Chi – Disney+
Question of the week:
- What is that one thing that fascinates you about space?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five