Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for March 17, 2021
This is the 76th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 289 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1852, that Annibale De Gasparis discovered in Naples the asteroid Psyche from the north dome of the Astronomical Observatory of Capodimonte
- Also today in 1941, In Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art was officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- On March 17, 1947, First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- Also today in 1950, Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announced the creation of element 98, which they name “californium”.
- Also on March 17, 1958, The United States launched the first solar-powered satellite, which is also the first satellite to achieve a long-term orbit.
- On March 17, 1966, Off the coast of Spain in the Mediterranean, the DSV Alvin submarine found a missing American hydrogen bomb
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German engineer and businessman, co-founded Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft, Gottlieb Daimler, born on this date in 1834.
- Charles F. Brush, the American businessman and philanthropist, co-invented the Arc lamp was born 172 years ago today.
- Born March 17, 1919, American singer, pianist, and television host Nat King Cole.
- James Irwin, American colonel, pilot, and astronaut was born on that same date in 1930.
- English-American chemist and toxicologist, David Peakall was born 90 years ago today.
- American admiral, pilot, and astronaut, Ken Mattingly is 85 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1939, English sailor and first person to perform a single-handed non-stop circumnavigation of the globe, Robin Knox-Johnston.
- American actor, director, and producer, Patrick Duffy is 72 today.
- American actor, director, and bass player, Gary Sinise, born on this date in 1955.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, American actor and producer, Rob Lowe.
- 18 – Gregory Lemon @ GregoryLemon.com
- 19 – JT Shea of The Gigcast and JT Ukes at 40
- 19 – Michael R. Mennenga
- 21 – Krazy Joe Fiore, MegaPodTasticand Honey, You’ve *GOT* to See This!
- 23 – Steve Riekeberg a.k.a. MissingIntellect of Geek Cred
- 23 – Richard Parkman
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 17, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Inventor of cassette tape Lou Ottens passed away | Financial – Netherlands News Live
- Pigs show potential for ‘remarkable’ level of behavioral, mental flexibility in new study | EurekAlert! Science News
- NASA is naming the rocks and soil on Mars in the Navajo language – CNN
- Aging Hubble returns to operations after software glitch – SpaceNews
- Large asteroid to pass by Earth on March 21: NASA (phys.org)
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Your Name Here||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- The Expanse – All Seasons
Question of the week
- What would 12 year-old you never believe about adult you?
Patreon Topic this week
- Let’s hang out with Ben and Keith
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five