Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for September 23, 2020
This is the 267th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 99 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1642, that The first commencement exercises occurred at Harvard College.
- That same date in 1806, Lewis and Clark returned to St. Louis after exploring the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
- 175 years ago today, The Knickerbockers Baseball Club, the first baseball team to play under the modern rules, was founded in New York.
- September 23, 1846, Astronomers Urbain Le Verrier, John Couch Adams and Johann Gottfried Galle collaborated on the discovery of Neptune.
- Also on September 23, 1889, Nintendo Koppai (Later Nintendo Company, Limited) was founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce and market the playing card game Hanafuda.
- It was 109 years ago today that Pilot Earle Ovington made the first official airmail delivery in America under the authority of the United States Post Office Department.
- Roland Garros of France became the first to fly in an airplane across the Mediterranean (from St. Raphael in France to Bizerte, Tunisia) on this date in 1913.
- That same date in 2002, The first public version of the web browser Mozilla Firefox (“Phoenix 0.1”) was released.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German astronomer and academic, Johann Franz Encke, born on this date in 1791.
- Hippolyte Fizeau, the French physicist and academic was born 201 years ago today.
- Born September 23, 1851, American mathematician and astronomer Ellen Hayes.
- German engineer and businessman, founded Robert Bosch GmbH, Robert Bosch was born 159 years ago today.
- Miron Merzhanov, Russian architect and engineer was born on that same date in 1895.
- Born September 23, 1902, Chinese mathematician and academic Su Buqing.
- Clifford Shull, the American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 105 years ago today.
- American actor, singer, director, and producer, Mickey Rooney, born on this date in 1920.
- André Cassagnes, the French toy maker, created the Etch A Sketch was born 94 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter, pianist, and actor, Ray Charles, born on this date in 1930.
- Also turning 77 today is Spanish singer-songwriter Julio Iglesias.
- American singer-songwriter and guitarist, Bruce Springsteen, born on this date in 1949.
- Also turning 63 today is American actress Rosalind Chao.
- American actor, singer, and voice artist, Jason Alexander, born on this date in 1959.
- 26 – Brett (from Wales)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 23, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- A 3.2 Billion Pixel Camera Takes A Picture Of Broccoli : NPR
- Commodore 64 Mini Man Makes Matching Mini Monitor | Hackaday
- TOBOT Is Your Tic Tac Toe Opponent With A Bad Attitude | Hackaday
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Elwood Edwards, Voice of AOL’s ‘You’ve Got Mail,’ Is Now an Uber Driver
- This game of Dungeons & Dragons has been going on for 38 years – CNN
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: High Score – Netflix
- Kreg: IP Man movies
- (Time Permitting) Is the Internet Conscious? If It Were, How Would We Know? | WIRED
Question of the week:
- What movie(s) is your comfort food? The ones that you will watch time after time
Patreon Topic this week
- What if the election process was more like a real job interview?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five