Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Matt Baum – Binary license plate image
- What new hobbies have you picked up this year and would you recommend them to others?
On This Day In History for September 16, 2020
This is the 260th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 106 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1620, that Pilgrims set sail from England on the Mayflower.
- It was 140 years ago today that The Cornell Daily Sun printed its first issue in Ithaca, New York. The Sun is the United States’ oldest, continuously-independent college daily.
- September 16, 1908, The General Motors Corporation was founded.
- On September 16, 1955, A Zulu-class submarine became the first to launch a ballistic missile.
- TCN-9 Sydney is the first Australian television station to commence regular broadcasts on this date in 1956.
- Also today in 1959, The first successful photocopier, the Xerox 914, was introduced in a demonstration on live television from New York City.
- It was 59 years ago today that The United States National Hurricane Research Project dropped eight cylinders of silver iodide into the eyewall of Hurricane Esther. Wind speed reduces by 10%, giving rise to Project Stormfury.
- Also today in 1961, Pakistan established its Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission with Abdus Salam as its head.
- It was 45 years ago today that The first prototype of the Mikoyan MiG-31 interceptor made its maiden flight.
- It was on this date in 1979, that Eight people escaped from East Germany to the west in a homemade hot air balloon.
- September 16, 1979, The Sugarhill Gang were formed and Rapper’s Delight was released.
- It was 33 years ago today that The Montreal Protocol is signed to protect the ozone layer from depletion.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and theorist, Antoine Parent, born on this date in 1666.
- Albrecht Kossel, German physician and biochemist, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1853.
- James Cash Penney, the American businessman and philanthropist, founded J. C. Penney was born 145 years ago today.
- Jacob Schick, American-Canadian inventor and businessman, founded Schick Razors was born on that same date in 1877.
- Hungarian-American physiologist and biochemist, Nobel Prize laureate, Albert Szent-Györgyi, born on this date in 1893.
- Born September 16, 1898, American author and illustrator, co-created Curious George H. A. Rey.
- Allen Funt, American director, producer, and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1914.
- Born September 16, 1924, American actress Lauren Bacall.
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, B.B. King, born on this date in 1925.
- Peter Falk, American actor was born on that same date in 1927.
- Also born on that same date in 1942, American computer scientist and academic, Susan L. Graham.
- American actor and environmental activist, Ed Begley Jr., born on this date in 1949.
- Also born on that same date in 1956, American magician and actor, David Copperfield.
- 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- 20 – Joel Harper (Rincewind) / Milwaukee WI
- 20 – Joel Rickenbach [deceased] (host of the You’ve Got Geek Podcast)
- 21 – Dean Jensen (Beaker1)
- 22 – Matthew Tjarks (Jharks)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 16, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Wireless device makes clean fuel from sunlight, carbon dioxide and water
- Europe’s largest 3D-printer prints an entire two-story house
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Smart Glasses: How a Teen Built Smart Glasses Better Than Google
- Secret geiger counter hidden inside iPod by US government – 9to5Mac
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck:The Umbrella Academy – Netflix
- Chuck: High Score – Netflix
- Kreg: Cobra Kai
- Kreg: Bill & Ted Face the Music
Question of the week:
- What would you do with a cardboard box?
Patreon Topic this week
- What we did last week. (D&D and DragonCon Live!)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five