Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Voicemail – Crazy Translation
- What no longer exists, but should?
Charitable Note from Tee Morris
For anyone who cannot make my stream, this is my #LunchtimeForKids URL. Drop a donation at https://donate.tiltify.com/@theteemonster/lunchtime-for-kids to make sure kids reliant on school lunches will get fed during this COVID-19 shutdown. On donating, you can choose what stories/titles by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris are available to you at https://bit.ly/L4K-incentives
On This Day In History for April 8, 2020
This is the 99th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 267 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1820, that The Venus de Milo is discovered on the Aegean island of Milos.
- 114 years ago today, Auguste Deter, the first person to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, died.
- That same date in 1908, Harvard University voted to establish the Harvard Business School.
- Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes discovered superconductivity on this date in 1911.
- That same date in 1959, A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- It was also this date in 1964 that The Gemini 1 test flight was conducted.
- It was 12 years ago today, that The construction of the world’s first skyscraper to integrate wind turbines was completed in Bahrain.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- 9th Baron de Clifford, English noble, John Clifford, born on this date in 1435.
- David Rittenhouse, the American astronomer and mathematician was born 288 years ago today.
- August Wilhelm von Hofmann, German chemist and academic was born on that same date in 1818.
- Canadian-American actress, producer, and screenwriter, co-founded United Artists, Mary Pickford, born on this date in 1892.
- Born April 8, 1911, American chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Melvin Calvin.
- Croatian physicist, philosopher and writer, Ivan Supek was born 105 years ago today.
- Winifred Asprey, American mathematician and computer scientist was born on that same date in 1917.
- Russian-Estonian astronomer, Grigori Kuzmin was born 103 years ago today.
- Also turning 82 today is American mathematician, statistician, and lawyer Mary W. Gray.
- American director, producer, and special effects artist, Douglas Trumbull is 78 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1966, American actress, director, producer, Robin Wright.
- American computer programmer and engineer, Mark Spencer is 43 today.
- Also turning 40 today is American actress Katee Sackhoff.
Listener Birthdays (April 8, 15)
- 14 – Danny Harnish
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 8, 2020
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Texas Cinema’s ‘Drive-In’ Is A Blockbuster Opening Weekend Hit
- Meet the Xenobots, Virtual Creatures Brought to Life – The New York Times
- The coronavirus pandemic is making Earth shake less – CNN
- NASA tests giant 21-foot mirror on James Webb telescope for the first time in simulated zero-gravity | Daily Mail Online
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- You wake up, it’s 2050, what do you google first?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five