Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for February 12, 2020
This is the 43rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 323 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1855, that Michigan State University was established.
- Also on February 12, 1909, The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was founded.
- On February 12, 1915, In Washington, D.C., the first stone of the Lincoln Memorial was put into place.
- It was on this date in 1924, that George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue received its premiere in a concert titled “An Experiment in Modern Music”, in Aeolian Hall, New York, by Paul Whiteman and his band, with Gershwin playing the piano.
- Also today in 1947, The largest observed iron meteorite until that time created an impact crater in Sikhote-Alin, in the Soviet Union.
- It was also this date in 1961 that The Soviet Union launched Venera 1 towards Venus.
- On February 12, 1963, Construction began on the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.
- February 12, 2001, NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft touches down in the “saddle” region of 433 Eros, becoming the first spacecraft to land on an asteroid.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French chemist and academic, Bernard Courtois, was born on this date in 1777.
- French physicist and chemist, Pierre Louis Dulong was born 235 years ago today.
- Heinrich Lenz, German-Italian physicist and academic was born on that same date in 1804.
- Born February 12, 1877, French engineer and businessman, co-founded Renault Louis Renault.
- American astronomer and academic, Lincoln LaPaz was born 123 years ago today.
- French mathematician and philosopher, Jacques Herbrand, born on this date in 1908.
- Born February 12, 1915, Canadian-American actor Lorne Greene.
- Also born on that same date in 1954, American cryptographer and programmer, Phil Zimmermann.
- Also turning 64 today is American actor and talk show host Arsenio Hall.
- American actor, Josh Brolin is 52 today.
- Also turning 40 today is American actress and producer Christina Ricci.
- 14 – Douglas E. Welch of Career Opportunities Podcast
- 14 – Andrew from Illinois
- 15 – Philip from Australia
- 17 – Bob Trate of MegaPodTastic and Action Figure Junkies
- 18 – Hot John Miller of MegaPodTastic
- 18 – Ray Insalaco – Central Village, CT
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 12, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Exscientia OCD drug designed by artificial intelligence – Washington Times
- NASA brings Voyager 2 fully back online, 11.5 billion miles from Earth
- Where is Starman? Track Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadster in Space! · Where is Starman?
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Neural Networks Upscale Film from 1896 to 4K, Make It Look Like It Was Shot on a Modern Smartphone
- That Time When Computer Memory Was Handwoven by Women | Amusing Planet
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
|Matt Baum||Kristina||Brian Brown|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- What is a movie that you don’t consider to be ‘good’ but do consider it entertaining?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five