Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Question of the week: What’s very cheap today but will be very expensive in 20 years?
On This Day In History for February 5, 2020
This is the 36th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 330 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1869, that The largest alluvial gold nugget in history, called the “Welcome Stranger”, is found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
- On February 5, 1907, Belgian chemist Leo Baekeland announces the creation of Bakelite, the world’s first synthetic plastic.
- 107 years ago today, Greek military aviators, Michael Moutoussis and Aristeidis Moraitinis perform the first naval air mission in history, with a Farman MF.7 hydroplane.
- Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and D. W. Griffith launch United Artists on this date in 1919.
- On February 5, 1924, The Royal Greenwich Observatory begins broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal.
- A hydrogen bomb known as the Tybee Bomb is lost by the US Air Force off the coast of Savannah, Georgia, never to be recovered on this date in 1958.
- February 5, 1971, Astronauts land on the moon in the Apollo 14 mission.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German mathematician and physicist, Gaspar Schott, born on this date in 1608.
- Austrian mineralogist, geologist, and physicist, Wilhelm Karl Ritter von Haidinger was born 225 years ago today.
- American engineer, invented the Maxim gun, Hiram Maxim, born on this date in 1840.
- John Boyd Dunlop, the Scottish businessman, co-founded Dunlop Rubber was born 180 years ago today.
- Born February 5, 1878, French engineer and businessman, founded Citroën André Citroën.
- American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Robert Hofstadter, born on this date in 1915.
- Red Buttons, the American actor was born 101 years ago today.
- Also turning 83 today is Estonian-American astronomer and mathematician Alar Toomre.
- Also born on that same date in 1943, American engineer and businessman, founded Atari, Inc, Nolan Bushnell.
- Also turning 73 today is American engineer and astronaut Mary L. Cleave.
- American actress, Barbara Hershey is 72 today.
- American actor and director, Christopher Guest, born on this date in 1948.
- Also born on that same date in 1969, American singer-songwriter, dancer, and actor, Bobby Brown.
- 01 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 01 – Brandon Kirkwold – MN
- 02 – Gary Lindros – aka Gary from Jacksonville – Groundhog’s Day Rules!!!
- 02 – Chuck Provenzano aka podlurker aka Chuck’s evil twin
- 02 – Oreo Cookie Monster
- 03 – Euan Campbell McGregor – Scotland, UK
- 07 – Chad W. Smith from Chattanooga, TN
- 07 – Bryon the Big BS in PA, Williamsport PA
- 08 – Jan Scott from Yorkshire, UK
- 09 – “Podcast” Mike Wills from Minnesota
- 10 – Zach Akgulian – Appleton, WI
- 10 – Drace (Shari from ND)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 5, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Scientists Snap Closest-Ever View of the Sun – ExtremeTech
- ‘The little telescope that could’ has retired. It changed how we see the universe – CNN
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- The First African American Woman To Obtain A Graduate Degree In Physics Was Involved In A Top Secret US Mission
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
|Matt Baum||Kristina||Brian Brown|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- What’s your first memory of the Internet?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five!