Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for April 3, 2019
This is the 93rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 272 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 686, that Maya king Yuknoom Yich’aak K’ahk’ assumes the crown of Calakmul.
- Also today in 1860, The first successful United States Pony Express run from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California, begins.
- April 3, 1882, Robert Ford kills the infamous Jesse James.
- On April 3, 1885, Gottlieb Daimler is granted a German patent for his engine design.
- That same date in 1933, First flight over Mount Everest, by the British Houston-Mount Everest Flight Expedition, led by the Marquis of Clydesdale, and funded by Lucy, Lady Houston.
- On April 3, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” speech. He was assassinated the next day.
- It was 46 years ago today, that Martin Cooper of Motorola makes the first handheld mobile phone call to Joel S. Engel of Bell Labs.
- Bobby Fischer refuses to play in a chess match against Anatoly Karpov, giving Karpov the title of World Champion by default on this date in 1975.
- Also on April 3, 1981, the Osborne 1, the first successful portable computer, is unveiled at the West Coast Computer Faire in San Francisco.
- That same date in 1996, Suspected “Unabomber” Theodore Kaczynski is captured at his Montana cabin in the United States.
- Also on April 3, 2000, Microsoft is ruled to have violated United States antitrust law by keeping “an oppressive thumb” on its competitors.
- April 3, 2007, a French TGV train on the LGV Est high speed line sets an official new world speed record.
- On April 3, 2010, Apple Inc. released the first generation iPad, a tablet computer.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German mathematician and astronomer, Michael Neander, born on this date in 1529.
- Pierre Bretonneau, French doctor who performed the first successful tracheotomy was born on that same date in 1778.
- American publisher, co-founded Time Magazine, Henry Luce, born on this date in 1898.
- American singer and actress, is 97 today.
- Gus Grissom, American colonel, pilot, and astronaut was born on that same date in 1926.
- Also turning 85 today is English primatologist and anthropologist Jane Goodall.
- Also born on that same date in 1944, American singer, Tony Orlando.
- American game show host, Ray Combs was born 63 years ago today.
- Also turning 61 today is American actor, comedian, producer and television host Alec Baldwin.
- American actor and comedian, Eddie Murphy is 58 today.
- 04 – Brian K – My Blog
- 04 – Joel McLaughlin (aka Gorkon)
- 05 – Chad Davis, Jon Issler (hsteckylf)
- 05 – Griffin Sylvester (Ildreancipher)
- 05 – Martine Tysmans – citytrips, travelling, jokes… (in Dutch)
- 05 – Ringmaster Greg from Dancing With Elephants
- 06 – Trevor Litecky (future Geek)
- 07 – P.C. Haring
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 3, 2019
- Wind Turbines and Solar Panels Suspected of Killing Hundreds of Cows in France
- NASA will pay you $19,000 to lie in bed for 2 months
- Two new planets discovered by artificial intelligence | AndroidPIT
Hacks & Strange Stories
- “Garfield” phones mystery solved after 30 years of the devices washing up on beaches in France – CBS News
- Japanese Device Allows Fathers to Breastfeed Their Babies
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Discovery of fossilized fish may shed light on the day an asteroid hit earth, killing the dinosaurs – ABC News
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week
- What movie/book/tv show can you not get enough of?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five