Coming up in this episode…
- Google Street
- Sci Fi Short films
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for April 23, 2014
This is the 113th day of the year, there are 252 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1635 that the first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts.
- That same date in 1914 saw the first baseball game at Wrigley Field, then known a Weeghman Park in Chicago.
- It was also on this date 1945 during World War II that Adolf Hitler’s designated successor Hermann Göring sends him a telegram asking permission to take leadership of the Third Reich, which causes Hitler to replace him with Joseph Goebbels and Karl Dönitz.
- April 23, 1967 a manned spaceflight carrying cosmonaut Colonel Vladimir Komarov is launched into orbit aboard Soyuz 1.
- 29 years ago this very day, Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
- Just 9 years ago today, the first video was uploaded to YouTube. It’s titled “Me at the zoo”
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Irish astronomer and physicist John Thomas Romney Robinson born on this date in 1792
- Also born on this date in 1928 – Shirley Temple, American actress, singer, and dancer
- Singer-songwriter Roy Orbison, was born today in 1936
- The six million dollar man, actor Lee Majors turns 75 today Lee Majors. If you did the math, he would be worth of 40 million dollars today.
- Other famous actors and actresses with birthdays today include:
- Hervé Villechaize, who played Tattoo on Fantasy Island, was born today in 1943
- George Lopez is 53
- Saturday Night Live star Jan Hooks is 57
- and Valerie Bertinelli is 54
Finally some holidays to note:
- World Book Day
- International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 23, 2014
Listener Birthday Calendar
- April 23 – Runtime
- April 29 – Shepherd Thom from outside of the known universe
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- The (Unintentional) Amazon Guide to Dealing Drugs – Alexis C. Madrigal – The Atlantic
- How nerds pack their boxes! (Chuck uses QR codes)
- Thanks to listener Brian!
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at@Ctomasi,@Steppek, and@technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And evenGoogle Plus3
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…binary high five