Coming up in this episode…
- How to cover that new car smell
- Can bubble wrap save you life?
- We talk to someone associated with fallen UARS
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 01 – 10/1 = 101 & Stephen Wesche ( Saint Louis Missouri)
- 02 – Adam Rumpke
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
- Tweet from Mike Hall about your super hero name:
“According to your formula, my super hero name would be Black Android Tablet”
On This Day In History for September 28, 2011
- It was on this day in 1542 that navigator João Rodrigues Cabrilho of Portugal arrives at what is now San Diego, California, United States.
- also today in 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming notices a bacteria-killing mold growing in his laboratory, discovering what later became known as penicillin.
- CBS makes the first color televisions available for sale to the general public on this date in 1951, but the product is discontinued less than month later.
- and it was today in 2008 that SpaceX launches the first ever private spacecraft, the Falcon 1 into orbit.
Happy Birthday goes out on this date to:
- Chinese philosopher Confucius born today in 551BC
- also born today in 1605, French Astronomer Ismaël Bullialdus
- French chemist and Nobel Prize laureate Henri Moissan was born today in 1852
- the man who discovered Gamma rays, French chemist and physicist Paul Ulrich Villard was born in 1860
- Television host Ed Sullivan would have been 110 if he were still alive today. (That would have been a really big shoe)
- Soviet spy Ethel Rosenberg was born today in 1915
- The man behind the Cray supercomputers was born today in 1925, happy birthday to Seymour Cray
- American R&B singer Ben E. King turns 73.
- and finally singer and actress, daughter of Frank Zappa, Moon Unit Zappa turns 44
and that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 28, 2011
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Facebook announces big changes at F8 conference – (Kreg: these Taiwanese animations crack me up)
- Dad convinces daughter that Ewoks are real
What the Chuck!
- As if TV ideas couldn’t get any more idiotic
- What’s next?!
- This was my back up idea: safe bread clips
- Is this really such a problem?!
- NASA releases cool ringtones
- Follow up – what happened to UARS?
- Read some of the contest entries
- Note: BTW, all of the telemetry for UARS was controlled from Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD.
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five