Coming up in this episode…
- Space Robots
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for December 5, 2018
This is the 339th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 26 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1492, that Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to set foot on the island of Hispaniola (now Haiti and the Dominican Republic).
- December 5, 1766, In London, auctioneer James Christie holds his first sale.
- On December 5, 1848, In a message to the United States Congress, U.S. President James K. Polk confirms that large amounts of gold had been discovered in California.
- It was 85 years ago today, that The Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified.
- It was on this date in 1958, that The Preston By-pass, the UK’s first stretch of motorway, opens to traffic for the first time. (It is now part of the M6 and M55 motorways.).
- That same date in 1958, Subscriber Trunk Dialling (STD) is inaugurated in the United Kingdom by Queen Elizabeth II when she speaks to the Lord Provost in a call from Bristol to Edinburgh.
- Also today in 1964, Lloyd J. Old discovered the first linkage between the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) and disease—mouse leukemia—opening the way for the recognition of the importance of the MHC in the immune response.
- It was also this date in 2014 that Exploration Flight Test 1, the first flight test of Orion is launched.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American zoologist, ornithologist, entomologist, and ethnographer, Clinton Hart Merriam, born on this date in 1855.
- Arnold Sommerfeld, German physicist and academic was born on that same date in 1868.
- American pilot and businessman, founded the Cessna Aircraft Corporation, Clyde Vernon Cessna was born 139 years ago today.
- Carl Ferdinand Cori, Czech-American biochemist and pharmacologist, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1896.
- American animator, director, producer, and screenwriter, co-founded The Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney was born 117 years ago today.
- German physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Werner Heisenberg, born on this date in 1901.
- English-Italian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, C. F. Powell was born 115 years ago today.
- Giuseppe Occhialini, the Italian-French physicist and academic was born 111 years ago today.
- Born December 5, 1916, Polish-American virologist and immunologist, created the world’s first effective live polio vaccine Hilary Koprowski.
- Also turning 86 today is American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Sheldon Lee Glashow.
- American singer-songwriter, pianist, and actor, Little Richard is 86 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1963, American television and radio host, Doctor Dré.
- American actress, Amy Acker is 42 today.
- 06 – SuperMoonMan
- 07 – Peter aka Zzippster from the Zzipp and Co. Podcast, Weymouth, Dorset, UK
- 08 – DanDman
- 08 – Gydian (Michael H.)
- 09 – Steve Kite (BigUnit62)
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 5, 2018
- Nobody knows why the Earth just rang like a bell
- In Video Debut, CIMON the ISS Robot Throws an Unexpected Tantrum
- Be Warned: Customer Service Agents Can See What You’re Typing in Real Time
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Song Masher 3000: Mele Kalikimaka
Question of the week:
- What are some good nerd/geek gift ideas when you’re on a budget?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five