Coming up in this episode…
- Laptop Thieves
- More Song Masher
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Hey Chuck and Kreg!
I brainfarted when it came to the Questions of the Week and forgot to send in my submissions for favorite video game music. Without a doubt, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor in Gyruss, one of my favorite video games as a teenager. The Wikipedia entry says that it’s actually based on a rock version of the J. S. Bach classic called “Toccata” from Skye
Gyruss Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNc7VdD-ink
Gyruss Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRXuW1hryw
“Toccata” by Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbgUrp1a70
My response for good nerd/geek gifts are:
USB flash drives
Geeky/nerdy themed clothing (I prefer anything *nix themed)
An e-book reader, maybe?
Or even better, a good dead-tree book!
If we’re talking relatively affordable, a Pinebook or Raspberry Pi kit.
Last, but definitely not least, a really good coffee mug!
BTW, I also left a voicemail when you asked what geeky thing you were thankful for but I guess it got overlooked, hence why I’m sending it in via e-mail. :-p
On This Day In History for December 12, 2018
This is the 346th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 19 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1862, that American Civil War: USS Cairo sinks on the Yazoo River, becoming the first armored ship to be sunk by a controlled mine.
- It was 117 years ago today, that Guglielmo Marconi receives the first transatlantic radio signal (the letter “S” [***] in Morse Code), at Signal Hill in St John’s, Newfoundland.
- On December 12, 1991, The Russian Federation gains independence from the USSR.
- December 12, 2000, The United States Supreme Court releases its decision in Bush v. Gore.
- It was also this date in 2012 that North Korea successfully launches its first satellite, Kwangmyŏngsŏng-3 Unit 2, using an Unha-3 carrier rocket.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American businessman, co-founded Wells Fargo and American Express, Henry Wells, born on this date in 1805.
- Born December 12, 1862, English businessman J. Bruce Ismay.
- Walter Benona Sharp, the American businessman, co-founded Hughes Tool Company was born 148 years ago today.
- Born December 12, 1881, Polish-American businessman, co-founded Warner Bros Harry Warner.
- American actor, Edward G. Robinson was born 125 years ago today.
- Born December 12, 1900, American actor and dancer Sammy Davis, Sr..
- American singer, actor, and producer, Frank Sinatra was born 103 years ago today.
- American game show host and producer, Bob Barker is 95 today.
- Robert Noyce, American inventor and businessman, co-founded the Intel Corporation was born on that same date in 1927.
- American singer and actress, Connie Francis is 80 today.
- American singer and television personality, Dionne Warwick, born on this date in 1940.
- Grover Washington, Jr., the American singer-songwriter, saxophonist, and producer was born 75 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter, drummer, and actress, Sheila E. is 61 today.
- 12 – Deckrd
- 12 – Kevin Burns (Soleblaze)
- 12 – Matt Blocker TheGiant
- 12 – Rob Riehl (suriehl)
- 14 – Michael Spence from Brother Osric’s Scriptorium
- 17 – Jorge Schrauwen
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 12, 2018
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Thief Steals Laptop, Sends Apologetic Email to Owner
- Unlimited power: ASUS ROG Phone charges when plugged into itself, solves world’s battery problems
- Exhausted Burglar Falls Asleep on the Job
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Krazy Joe from Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- When you die, in what video game would you like to be reborn?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five