Coming up in this episode…
- Word Mangler 3000
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
I was listening to you guys talk about going to the terminal window for Macs and reminded me of an event. I was visiting my older son’s office and he mentioned his Mac wasn’t doing updates. Since I have worked for years on Unix and Linux machines, I popped open a terminal window and found where the Mac stored the downloads for the updates. I deleted the recent update files and emptied the trash can. Next I hit the update button and low and behold, the updates began pouring in and installing. He was shocked that I could fix Macs and asked how I knew what to do. I just told him when there is a problem, you just have to pop the hood and find the right wire to plug in. Yea it is a little sad that a large portion of the new generation don’t know what is going on behind the curtain of many of the machines because they like the shiny GUI.
yes that JN
On This Day In History for November 28, 2018
This is the 332nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 33 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1520, that an expedition under the command of Ferdinand Magellan passes through the Strait of Magellan.
- That same date in 1660, At Gresham College, twelve men, including Christopher Wren, Robert Boyle, John Wilkins, and Sir Robert Moray decide to found what is later known as the Royal Society.
- It was 204 years ago today, that The Times of London becomes the first newspaper to be produced on a steam-powered printing press, built by the German team of Koenig & Bauer.
- On November 28, 1895, The first American automobile race takes place over the 54 miles from Chicago’s Jackson Park to Evanston, Illinois. Frank Duryea wins in approximately 10 hours.
- That same date in 1925, The Grand Ole Opry begins broadcasting in Nashville, Tennessee, as the WSM Barn Dance.
- NASA launches the Mariner 4 probe toward Mars on this date in 1964.
- On November 28, 1967, The first pulsar (PSR B1919+21, in the constellation of Vulpecula) was discovered by two astronomers Jocelyn Bell Burnell and Antony Hewish.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Flemish captain and explorer, Willem de Vlamingh, born on this date in 1640.
- Nathaniel Bliss, English astronomer and mathematician was born on that same date in 1700.
- Luke Howard, the English chemist and meteorologist was born 246 years ago today.
- Born November 28, 1805, American archaeologist and explorer John Lloyd Stephens.
- English engineer and architect, William Froude was born 208 years ago today.
- John Wesley Hyatt, American engineer was born on that same date in 1837.
- English chemist and academic, Cliff Addison was born 105 years ago today.
- American physicist, novelist, and academician, Alan Lightman, born on this date in 1948.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, Canadian-American singer, keyboard player, and bandleader (CBS Orchestra), Paul Shaffer.
- Also turning 68 today is American physicist and astronomer, Nobel Prize laureate Russell Alan Hulse.
- American educator and astronaut, Barbara Morgan, born on this date in 1951.
- American actor and screenwriter, Judd Nelson is 59 today.
- Also turning 56 today is American comedian, actor, and television host Jon Stewart.
- 28 – Ben Sweetser
- 01 – Claudio Miranda (ClaudioM)
- 02 – Ben Fryxell from the MacMania Podcast
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 28, 2018
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Word Mangler 3000 – Christmas is coming
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Your name here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- 200 Artists Collaborated On A Remake Of Dreamworks’ ‘Shrek’
- Free: Download 15,000+ Free Golden Age Comics from the Digital Comic Museum | Open Culture
Question of the week:
- What is your favourite piece of music from a video game?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five