This is a repost of Episode 299 from March 3, 2011 . Enjoy while we are out!
Coming up in this episode…
- Worst iPad accessory ever
- Doing Zoidberg impersonations can be hazardous to your health
- My next wish for the Wii
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 11 – Andy Helsby of Absoblogginlutely!
- 11 – Ken Kitzman a.k.a kitzken or Kender form hell
- 13 – Johanna Gonzalez a.k.a. MightyJo
- 14 – Pi Day (3/14)
- Huge apology for missing Zhadum’s birthday shout out on the last show (2/23)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On This Day in History for March 9, 2011
- It was on this day in 1862 that the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia fight to a draw in the Battle of Hampton Roads, the first battle between two ironclad warships.
- The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York today in 1959.
- And it was today in 1997 that Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.
Happy Birthday goes out on this date to
- German astronomer David Fabricius born today in 1564
- Today is also the the birthday of Franz Joseph Gall, the German neuroscientist in 1758
- March 9, 1825 marks the birthday of Russian aviation pined Alexander F. Mozhaiski
- Also born today in 1887, German geneticist Fritz Lenz
- American computing pioneer Howard Aiken was born today in 1900
- Today in 1904 is also the birthday of American engineer and high fidelity pioneer Paul Klipsch
- On this day in 1923 Austrian-born physicist Walter Kohn is born
- The first man in space, Yuri Gagarin, was born today in 1934.
- also sharing the same birthday is American chess player Bobby Fischer
- and finally 1963 – David Pogue, Technology columnist David Pogue turns
And that’s the way it was – on this day in history – for March 9, 2011
- What happens when you put your head in a particle accelerator
- Guy’s Zoidberg impression gets nose broken
- Idiot drug dealer’s money laundering scheme – comic books
Hacks & Strange Stories
- What would happen if a Vulcan studied to be a Jedi?
- NES 8-bit breathalizer – when is a Wii version available?
- From Cian: Upgrading through all version of Windows
- Why don’t cars have a spare tire for parking yet?
What the Chuck!
- The ultimate iPad business accessory – the iPad Suit
- Rockwell Spiderman by ~lukeradl on deviantART
- best Tatoo ever
- Kid unfriendly Dune Coloring Books
- Comics prove Lois Lane was manipulative and marriage obsessed
Bonus Links (quick mentions):
- Weeping angels cross stitch (from Michelle)
- Scenes from a Star Trek con from nearly 40 years ago
- Photos from cons from the 20s-50s
- How to furnish your bomb shelter
- Chuck’s Birthday Wish from ThinkGeek – Star Trek bathrobe
End of Show Stuff
- This is show #299 – we turn 300 next week! We’d love to hear from you!
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Don’t forget to take our survey at the website!
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five