Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
ChatGPT says, “Sure! Let’s see, what’s 100% a scam but we still fall for it hook, line, and sinker? Oh, I know! The “get rich quick” scheme! It’s like the ultimate “too good to be true” offer – promises of quick and easy wealth with little to no effort. But, just like a fisherman’s tale of the one that got away, these schemes always seem to slip away, leaving us empty handed. So, let’s all be like wise old fish and avoid getting caught in these scams. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!”
We also asked an old QOTW, What older classic horror movie would you recommend?
ChatGPT says, “One classic horror movie that I would recommend if you’re in the mood for a good old fashioned belly laugh is “Young Frankenstein” (1974) directed by Mel Brooks. This film is a parody of the classic horror genre and is packed with comedic moments and memorable characters. It tells the story of Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, a descendant of the infamous Dr. Victor Frankenstein, who inherits a castle in Transylvania and decides to continue his ancestor’s experiments by creating a monster of his own. This movie is known for its comedic take on the classic story, and its memorable performances by Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman and Cloris Leachman. It’s considered one of the funniest movies of all time and a must-watch if you’re looking for a good laugh.”
On This Day In History for January 18, 2023
This is the 18th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 347 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1778, that James Cook was the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the “Sandwich Islands”
- 235 years ago today, The first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from Great Britain to Australia arrived at Botany Bay
- An X-ray generating machine was exhibited for the first time by H. L. Smith on this date in 1896
- It was also this date in 1977 that Scientists identified a previously unknown bacterium as the cause of the mysterious Legionnaires’ disease
- It was on this date in 1981, that Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield parachuted off a Houston skyscraper, becoming the first two people to BASE jump from objects in all four categories: buildings, antennae, spans (bridges), and earth (cliffs)
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American assistant to Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas A. Watson, born on this date in 1854.
- Austrian-Dutch physicist and academic, Paul Ehrenfest was born 143 years ago today.
- Oliver Hardy, the American actor and comedian was born 131 years ago today.
- Russian mathematician and academic, Ivan Petrovsky was born 122 years ago today.
- Cary Grant, the English-American actor was born 119 years ago today.
- Japanese-American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Yoichiro Nambu was born 102 years ago today.
- Born January 18, 1933, American engineer and businessman, founded Dolby Laboratories Ray Dolby.
- American actor, director, and producer, Kevin Costner, born on this date in 1955.
- American astronomer, Amy Barger is 52 today.
- American biochemist and academic, Michael Kearney, born on this date in 1984.
- 21 – Michael Rabalais
- 22 – TAW012294
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 23 – Keith Lane from TGGeeks
- 24 – Cynthia Fry
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 18, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Aging can be reversed in mice. Are people next? | CNN
- NASA has discovered an Earth-sized planet orbiting in the habitable zone of its star – CBS News
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Chuck has been tinkering with 3D modeling and EDA.
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg: Jack Ryan Season 1 and 2
- Kreg: Inside the mind of cats
- Chuck: LOTR – Fellowship and Two Towers (again)
- Chuck: The Sting (1973)
- Chuck: Troy (2009)
- What kind of sorcery is this, iam preety stup*d with math things – 9GAG
- I disconnected from the electric grid for 8 months—in Manhattan | Ars Technica
- The Pinecil is the best soldering iron for most people – The Verge
Question of the week:
- What’s a hobby that you’ll never understand?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip.jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five