Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What was the first movie you saw in a movie theater?
On This Day In History for August 11, 2021
This is the 223rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 142 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1858, that The Eiger in the Bernese Alps was ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren
- 87 years ago today, The first civilian prisoners arrived at the Federal prison on Alcatraz Island
- That same date in 1942, Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a Frequency-hopping spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones, two-way radio communications, and Wi-Fi
- Also today in 1962, Vostok 3 launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome and cosmonaut Andrian Nikolayev became the first person to float in microgravity
- It was also this date in 1969 that The Apollo 11 astronauts were released from a three-week quarantine following their liftoff from the moon.
- It was 37 years ago today, while running for re-election, President Ronald Reagan while preparing to make his weekly Saturday address on National Public Radio joked “We begin bombing in five minutes”
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Hungarian engineer and chess player, Ottó Bláthy, born on this date in 1860.
- Stephen Butterworth, English physicist and engineer was born on that same date in 1885.
- German astronomer and academic, Eva Ahnert-Rohlfs was born 109 years ago today.
- Alex Haley, American historian and author was born on that same date in 1921.
- American businessman, founded International Data Group, Patrick Joseph McGovern was born 84 years ago today.
- American computer scientist and programmer, co-founded Apple Inc., Steve Wozniak, born on this date in 1950.
- French mathematician and academic, Pierre-Louis Lions is 65 today.
- Also turning 64 today is Japanese technology entrepreneur and investor Masayoshi Son.
- Also born on that same date in 1962, English video game designer and co-founded Revolution Software, Charles Cecil.
- Also turning 38 today is Australian actor Chris Hemsworth.
- 11 – Steve Wozniak
- 11 – David Brewer (Tyrion The Imp)
- 13 – Christine Fiore – co-host of MegaPodTastic and Honey, You’ve *GOT* to See This!
- 17 – Clive Jevons, Baeumenheim German, Kevin (SusietheGeek’s son and Geek in Training)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 11, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- A Harvard-led team is launching a new project to search for physical evidence of aliens and their technology
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- This terrifying ‘dragon’ was Australia’s largest flying reptile | CNN
- The Massive Army of Volunteers That Built AOL in the 90s
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – The Suicide Squad (HBOMax)
- Val – Amazon Prime
- Chuck – Outlander (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- What fictional company would you like to work for?
Patreon Topic this week
- Customer service (good this time)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
binary high five