Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for August 21, 2019
This is the 233rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1770, that James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 198 years ago today, Jarvis Island is discovered by the crew of the ship, Eliza Frances.
- That same date in 1883, An F5 tornado struck Rochester, Minnesota, leading to the creation of the Mayo Clinic.
- Also today in 1888, The first successful adding machine in the United States is patented by William Seward Burroughs.
- It was on this date in 1897, that Oldsmobile, an American automobile manufacturer and marque, is founded.
- 108 years ago today, The Mona Lisa is stolen by Vincenzo Perugia, a Louvre employee.
- That same date in 1945, Physicist Harry Daghlian is fatally irradiated in a criticality incident during an experiment with the Demon core at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- It was 62 years ago today, that The Soviet Union successfully conducts a long-range test flight of the R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile.
- August 21, 1961, Motown releases what would be its first #1 hit (in America), “Please Mr. Postman” by The Marvelettes.
- It was also this date in 1993 that NASA loses contact with the Mars Observer spacecraft.
- Also on August 21, 2017, A solar eclipse traverses the continental United States.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and engineer, Hubert Gautier, born on this date in 1660.
- Giacomo F. Maraldi, French-Italian astronomer and mathematician was born on that same date in 1665.
- Scottish engineer and inventor, created gas lighting, William Murdoch was born 265 years ago today.
- Jean Stas, the Belgian chemist and physician was born 206 years ago today.
- French chemist and academic, Charles Frédéric Gerhardt, born on this date in 1816.
- Nathaniel Everett Green, the English painter and astronomer was born 196 years ago today.
- Friz Freleng, American animator, director, and producer was born on that same date in 1906.
- Russian mathematician and physicist, Nikolay Bogolyubov was born 110 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1938, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, and actor, Kenny Rogers.
- Hungarian-American mathematician and computer scientist, Endre Szemerédi, born on this date in 1940.
- Also born on that same date in 1951, Chilean mathematician and computer scientist, Eric Goles.
- English-Canadian actress, Kim Cattrall, born on this date in 1956.
- Canadian actress, Carrie-Anne Moss is 52 today.
- Russian-American computer scientist and businessman, co-founded Google, Sergey Brin, born on this date in 1973.
- 22 – Zoidberg 
- 22 – Kyle Slingo
- 22 – AlchemyDragon
- 24 – Kira Fiore (Krazy Joe & Christine’s daughter)
- 25 – David “Grizzly” Smith from Grizzly’s Growls podcasts
- 27 – Chuck’s forgotten iPod
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 21, 2019
- NASA Giving Away Apollo-Era Saturn Rocket to Anyone who can Carry it Out
- Does Tech-Industry Job Growth Actually Lower Wages For Some Workers? – Slashdot
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- How AOL dominated the internet of the ’90s and let it slip away
- The Story of the Very First Thing Securely Sold on the Internet – VICE
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||elboN nhoJ||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
|Matt Baum||Matt Baum||Matt Baum||Matt Baum|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- What’s a statistic that blew your mind?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can also find us on Spotify and Radio Public, Google Podcast, etc.
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five