Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for April 24, 2019
This is the 114th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 251 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1558, that Mary, Queen of Scots, marries the Dauphin of France, François, at Notre Dame de Paris.
- April 24, 1704, The first regular newspaper in British Colonial America, The Boston News-Letter, is published.
- Also today in 1800, The United States Library of Congress is established when President John Adams signs legislation to appropriate $5,000 to purchase “such books as may be necessary for the use of Congress”.
- April 24, 1885, American sharpshooter Annie Oakley is hired by Nate Salsbury to be a part of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West.
- On April 24, 1895, Joshua Slocum, the first person to sail single-handedly around the world, sets sail from Boston, Massachusetts aboard the sloop “Spray”.
- 106 years ago today, The Woolworth Building, a skyscraper in New York City, is opened.
- April 24, 1914, The Franck-Hertz experiment, a pillar of quantum mechanics, is presented to the German Physical Society.
- Ernest Shackleton and five men of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition launch a lifeboat from uninhabited Elephant Island in the Southern Ocean to organise a rescue for the crew of the sunken Endurance on this date in 1916.
- April 24, 1918, the first tank-to-tank combat in World War 1, during the second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux. Three British Mark IVs meet three German A7Vs.
- Also on April 24, 1922, The first segment of the Imperial Wireless Chain providing wireless telegraphy between Leafield in Oxfordshire, England, and Cairo, Egypt, comes into operation.
- 66 years ago today, Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
- April 24, 1967, Cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov dies in Soyuz 1 when its parachute fails to open. He is the first human to die during a space mission.
- It was 29 years ago today, that the Hubble Space Telescope is launched from the Space Shuttle Discovery.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swedish-American engineer and businessman, developed the zipper, Gideon Sundback, born on this date in 1880.
- Oscar Zariski, Russian-American mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1899.
- American actor, director, and producer, Richard Donner is 89 today.
- American actress, singer, and dancer, Shirley MacLaine, born on this date in 1934.
- Born April 24, 1940, American author Sue Grafton.
- Also turning 78 today is Australian-English guitarist and composer John Williams.
- American lawyer and politician, 54th Mayor of Chicago, Richard M. Daley, born on this date in 1942.
- Also turning 77 today is American singer, actress, activist, and producer Barbra Streisand.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American biochemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Roger D. Kornberg.
- American actor, Michael O’Keefe is 64 today.
- American director, producer, and screenwriter, Eric Kripke, born on this date in 1974.
- Also born on that same date in 1982, American singer-songwriter, producer, and actress, Kelly Clarkson.
- 29 – Shepherd Thom from outside of the known universe
- 29 – Timothy Karre
- 30 – Julio Diaz (JulioTijuana)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 24, 2019
- NASA is building an inflatable space robot named King Louie | Digital Trends
- Zero-gravity robot cleaner could automatically sterilise the ISS | New Scientist
- ‘Disastrous’ lack of diversity in AI industry perpetuates bias, study finds | Technology | The Guardian
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Watch these 10 robot dogs pull a truck
- Russian news anchor robot sparks ‘propaganda’ controversy: report
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- Is the telephone as we know it extinct or is it still useful? (reference https://youtu.be/ii2z_0l0I0Y )
ONE MORE THING…
- Special episode next week w/Kreg in studio!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five