Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Hey gents! Great show as always! I just need to catch it live again (tried last week but that time change must have mucked me up).
Just to clarify something on AT&T vs. “BSD”: Yes, BSD (the software) refers to Berkeley Software Distribution, but it would be kind of funny if AT&T were suing a piece of software. BSD, or more specifically, BSDi (Berkeley Software Design, Inc.) was the company that was being sued which was developing and selling BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) at the time.
So, my bad for not adding that “i” at the end. Proof that “The ‘i’s have it!” 🙂
John Miller Jr.
Parts for a new Intel 8th generation computer that I can’t install Windows 7 on. My choices are either Windows 10, or one of 947 flavors of Linux. I have a different machine that I’m using Linux Lite, MX Linux, and Linux Mint on (rock on Kreg). My own fault. I should have done more research before buying my components. I have a virtual machine installation of Windows 7 on my machine.
On This Day In History for November 14, 2018
This is the 318th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 47 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1851, that Moby-Dick, a novel by Herman Melville, is published in the USA.
- That same date in 1886, Friedrich Soennecken first developed the hole puncher, a type of office tool capable of punching small holes in paper.
- It was on this date in 1889, that Pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in 72 days.
- November 14, 1910, Aviator Eugene Burton Ely performs the first takeoff from a ship in Hampton Roads, Virginia. He took off from a makeshift deck on the USS Birmingham in a Curtiss pusher.
- 96 years ago today, The British Broadcasting Company begins radio service in the United Kingdom.
- It was 49 years ago today, that NASA launches Apollo 12, the second crewed mission to the surface of the Moon.
- On November 14, 1971, Mariner 9 enters orbit around Mars.
- Also today in 2003, Astronomers Michael E. Brown, Chad Trujillo, and David L. Rabinowitz discover 90377 Sedna, a Trans-Neptunian object.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Austrian violinist, composer, and conductor, Leopold Mozart, born on this date in 1719.
- Robert Fulton, American engineer, invented the steamboat was born on that same date in 1765.
- Born November 14, 1840, French painter Claude Monet.
- Belgian-American chemist and engineer, Leo Baekeland was born 155 years ago today.
- American actor and director, Brian Keith, born on this date in 1921.
- Veronica Lake, the American actress and singer was born 96 years ago today.
- American physicist and academic, Stirling Colgate was born 93 years ago today.
- American colonel, engineer, and astronaut, Ed White, born on this date in 1930.
- American pilot, engineer, and astronaut, Fred Haise is 85 today.
- American programmer and author, Peter Norton, born on this date in 1943.
- Also turning 70 today is Prince of Wales Charles.
- American singer-songwriter and guitarist, James Young, born on this date in 1949.
- 15 – Jackie Breller (Krazy Joe & Christine’s daughter)
- 15 – Chuck Jolley aka nitestarr – (Horn Lake, MS)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 14, 2018
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Man Comes Home Two Months After DNA Test Showed That He Was Dead
- Chinese news agency adds AI anchors to its broadcast team
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- A 21-Year-Old Cosplayer Can Turn Herself Into Anyone, And Here Are 10+ Of Her Best Transformations | Bored Panda
Question of the week:
- What was the worst thing you’ve accidentally played on speaker?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five