Coming up in this episode…
- Robot Calls
- Spray on Coating
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Voicemail from Crazy Joe (In the VM folder)
On This Day In History for October 31, 2018
This is the 304th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 61 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1517, Martin Luther posts his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg.
- Also today in 1587, Leiden University Library opens its doors after its founding in 1575.
- 105 years ago today, Dedication of the Lincoln Highway, the first automobile highway across United States.
- October 31, 1941, After 14 years of work, Mount Rushmore is completed.
- It was also this date in 1943 that An F4U Corsair accomplishes the first successful radar-guided interception by a United States Navy or Marine Corps aircraft.
- That same date in 1961, In the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin’s body is removed from the Lenin’s Mausoleum, also known as the Lenin Tomb.
- 45 years ago today, Mountjoy Prison helicopter escape. Three Provisional Irish Republican Army members escape from Mountjoy Prison, Dublin aboard a hijacked helicopter that landed in the exercise yard.
- October 31, 1999, Yachtsman Jesse Martin returns to Melbourne after 11 months of circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop and unassisted.
- Also today in 2000, Soyuz TM-31 launches, carrying the first resident crew to the International Space Station. The ISS has been crewed continuously since then.
- 7 years ago today, The global population of humans reaches seven billion. This day is now recognized by the United Nations as the Day of Seven Billion.
- It was also this date in 2014 that During a test flight, the VSS Enterprise, a Virgin Galactic experimental spaceflight test vehicle, suffers a catastrophic in-flight breakup and crashes in the Mojave Desert, California,.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French archaeologist and author, Anne Claude de Caylus, born on this date in 1692.
- Italian physician, physicist, and academic, Laura Bassi was born 307 years ago today.
- Karl Weierstrass, the German mathematician and academic was born 203 years ago today.
- Adolf von Baeyer, German chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1835.
- Born October 31, 1912, American animator and voice actor Ollie Johnston.
- American singer-songwriter and actress, Dale Evans, born on this date in 1912.
- John Hugenholtz, Dutch engineer and designer was born on that same date in 1914.
- Born October 31, 1919, American mathematician and author Magnus Wenninger.
- Barbara Bel Geddes, American actress was born on that same date in 1922.
- Also born on that same date in 1930, American general, pilot, and astronaut, Michael Collins.
- Also turning 83 today is American mathematician and theorist Ronald Graham.
- Michael Landon, the American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter was born 82 years ago today.
- American businessman and activist, founded the Oscar Wilde Bookshop, Craig Rodwell was born 78 years ago today.
- David Ogden Stiers, American actor was born on that same date in 1942.
- New Zealand actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, Peter Jackson, born on this date in 1961.
- Also turning 55 today is American actor and comedian Rob Schneider.
- 01 – Amber Elstad
- 02 – Mark McCoy
- 03 – Ken Pace
- 03 – Craig Glassner (aka Ranger Craig)
- 04 – Avner (OMG, its 2014 – I’m 40 already)
- 05 – Michael Corlett (from New Zealand)
- 06 – John Deurholt (Jo Dho)
- 09 – Itsuko Rumpke (sounds like IT – SUE – KOE)
- 09 – Mario (New Jersey)
- 10 – Victor Cajiao
- 10 – Garrett Riffal
- 11 – Bruce Barr
- 13 – Jason Schwanz
- 19 – Russell Pearson (Ninereeds)
- 20- Mike from near Des Moines, Iowa
- 21 – Daniel Ebdrup Jensen (D. Ebdrup)
- 21 – Justin Diehl (nulloperations)
- 22 – Zach – zml2008
- 22 – Cassandra Therrien (Canada)
- 25 – Mad Marv – spelled “K – Y – L – E” but pronounced “Marv”. Hope that helps.
- 25 – HMNSHLD
- 25 – BritOnTour (Jason)
- 25 – Scott (Minneapolis)
- 28 – Dylan Licata (San Antonio)
- 29 – Big Jim Clark, MegaPodTastic
- 30 – WolfGeek (Indiana)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 31, 2018
- Robocallers “evolved” to sidestep new call blocking rules, AGs tell FCC | Ars Technica
- Portrait Painted by AI Sells For $432,500
- Tim Berners-Lee Announces Solid, an Open Source Project Which Would Aim To Decentralize the Web – Slashdot
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Woman Left with Paralyzed Fingers After Playing on Her Phone for a Week Straight « Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
- Shop Owner Asks Robbers to Come Back Later if They Want More Money, They Listen, Get Arrested « Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Safety Dance
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
- Avner Braverman
- John Clifford
- Alexis Duran
- Amber Elstad
- Gary Lindros
- Chris Mc
- Harold McKinstry
- John Miller Jr.
- Kyle Nishioka
- John Noble
- Jorge Schrauwen
- NightGig Studios
- Saturday Morning Media – (Grant)
- Steve Therrien
- Ben Vaughan
- Mike Wills
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Let’s talk about old horror movies
- New high-tech spray-on coating can make buildings, cars, and even spaceships cooler – BGR
- HOW TO: Fix your PC with a crystal pendulum [Video]
Question of the week
- What is the worst horror movie you have ever seen?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five