Coming up in this episode…
- Autocomplete this
- Time machines are back
- So are Atari games
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for February 3, 2016
This is the 34th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 332 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 1488 that Bartolomeu Dias of Portugal lands in Mossel Bay after rounding the Cape of Good Hope, becoming the first known European to travel so far south.
- Tulip mania collapses in the United Provinces (now the Netherlands) as sellers could no longer find buyers for their bulb contracts 379 years ago today.
- The colony of Massachusetts issues the first paper money in the Americas 326 years ago today.
- That same date in 1834, Wake Forest University is established.
- 98 years ago today, The Twin Peaks Tunnel in San Francisco, California begins service as the longest streetcar tunnel in the world at 11,920 feet (3,633 meters) long.
- Also today in 1947, The lowest temperature in North America, −63.9 °C (−83.0 °F), is recorded in Snag, Yukon.
- Deaths of rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson, in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa 57 years ago today.
- The unmanned Soviet Luna 9 spacecraft makes the first controlled rocket-assisted landing on the Moon on this date in 1966.
- John Buster and the research team at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center announce history’s first embryo transfer, from one woman to another resulting in a live birth 32 years ago today.
- That very same date, Space Shuttle STS-41-B is launched using Space Shuttle Challenger.
- February 3, 1995, Astronaut Eileen Collins becomes the first woman to pilot the Space Shuttle as mission STS-63 gets underway from Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- The United States first Postmaster General, Samuel Osgood, born on this date in 1747.
- Also born on this date in 1857, Italian sculptor and designer of the Vulcan statue, Giuseppe Moretti.
- German engineer and designer of the Junkers J 1, Hugo Junkers was born today in 1859.
- Poet Gertrude Stein was born February 3, 1874.
- One of America’s most famous painters, Normal Rockwell was born today in 1894.
- Also born today in 1904, one of America’s most famous gangsters, Pretty Boy Floyd.
- Henry Heimlich, American physician and author, turns 96 today.
- Celebrating his 83rd birthday, lawyer and politician, Paul Sarbanes of Sarbanes-Oxley fame.
- Actress Morgan Fairchild turns 66 today
- and finally, Warwick Davis is 46
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 3, 2016
- President pledges $4B toward computer science education in schools
- Star Trek gets a new con for 50th
Listener Birthday Calendar
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- 03 – Mark Trubl
- 03 – Euan Campbell McGregor – Scotland, UK
- 05 – Stephan Eley
- 07 – Chad W. Smith from Chattanooga, TN
- 07 – Bryon the Big BS in PA, Williamsport PA
- 08 – Jan Scott from Yorkshire, UK
- 08 – Wil Jakeway (Julie’s boyfriend)
- 09 – “Podcast” Mike Wills from Minnesota
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
Thank you Patrons!
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chad D||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn|
If you find this show informative, entertaining, or just something to use as background noise while you do other things, we hope you consider supporting us.
- DeLorean cars are coming back!
- Netflix is making a Stretch Armstrong movie
Question of the week:
No Technorama for the next couple weeks.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five