Coming up in this episode…
- Old Calculators
- Coloring Books
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes.
- Digital Dan
- It’s Me
- Sound byte from Technorama-rama #1
- Ben and Keith: What TV show needs to go away?
On This Day In History for July 1, 2015
This is the 182nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 183 days remaining until the end of the year.
- It was on this date in 1770 that Lexell’s Comet passes closer to the Earth than any other comet in recorded history, approaching to a distance of 0.0146 a.u.
- July 1, 1858, Joint reading of Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace’s papers on evolution to the Linnean Society in London.
- The Sholes and Glidden typewriter, the first commercially successful typewriter, goes on sale on this date in 1874.
- Also today in 1881, The world’s first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States.
- July 1, 1890, Canada and Bermuda are linked by telegraph cable.
- That same date in 1908, SOS is adopted as the international distress signal.
- United Airlines begins service (as Boeing Air Transport) on this date in 1931.
- It was 83 years ago today that Australia’s national broadcaster, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, was formed.
- 52 years ago today, ZIP codes are introduced for United States mail.
- July 1, 1979, Sony introduces the Walkman
- The PG-13 rating is introduced by the MPAA on this date in 1984.
- 11 years ago today, Saturn orbit insertion of Cassini–Huygens begins at 01:12 UTC and ends at 02:48 UTC.
- Neptune’s moon S/2004 N 1 is discovered two years ago today.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz born on this date in 1646.
- William Grant Stairs, the Canadian-English captain and explorer was born July 1, 1863.
- Also born today in 1872, British physicist and electrical engineer William Duddell.
- David Brower, American environmentalist, founder Sierra Club Foundation was born 103 years ago.
- Soviet astronomer and astrophysicist Iosif Shklovsky was born on this date in 1916.
- The actor best known for his cross dressing character on M*A*S*H, Corporal Klinger, Jamie Farr is 81.
- Another actor, producer, and screenwriter Dan Aykroyd, is 63.
- Cameron from Ferris Beuller’s Day off, and Captain John Harriman from Star Trek Generations, actor Alan Ruck is 59.
- Diana, Princess of Wales would have been 54 today.
- and finally, actress Liv Tyler is 38.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 1, 2015
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 04 – Mike McBride
- 06 – Peter (1982, Sweden)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Someone Got Android 1.6 Running On A Texas Instruments Graphing Calculator, OnePlus One Owners Feel Strangely Jealous
- Crazy Hacked Typewriter Is Now a Percussive Printer
Shout out to the chat room
We need your help! Our software for doing the video feed is out of date. Please visit our PayPal donation page.
Thank you listener Steven for your donation! We’re that much closer to our goal.
Kreg’s got the new Pebble Time!
Question of the week:
- What is the nerdiest place you want to visit?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five