Coming up in this episode…
- 5 finger Neil
- Mel Brooks
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- VM from Zhadum (3 parts)
- VM from Jack Jaffe
- Backseat games
- Man in the High Castle
- Feedback from Steve Ly
Just watched the first episode and I want to see more! What sucks is that there will be some dependency on the reviews of the episode to make a decision on whether to pick it up the show to not. The problem is how do you write a review of any substance based on one episode?
I hope it gets picked up.
On This Day In History for February 18, 2015
This is the 49th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 316 days remaining in 2015.
- It was on this date in 1885 that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States.
- 104 years ago today, The first official flight with air mail takes place from Allahabad, United Provinces, British India (now India), when Henri Pequet, a 23-year-old pilot, delivers 6,500 letters to Naini, about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) away.
- That same date in 1954, The first Church of Scientology is established in Los Angeles, California.
- Operation Teapot test shot “Wasp” is successfully detonated at the Nevada Test Site with a yield of 1.2 kilotons. Wasp is the first of fourteen shots in the Teapot series 60 years ago today.
- 38 years ago today, The Space Shuttle Enterprise test vehicle is carried on its maiden “flight” on top of a Boeing 747.
- It was 37 years ago today that The first Ironman Triathlon competition takes place on the island of Oahu and is won by Gordon Haller.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- French astronomer Jacques Cassini born on this date in 1677.
- Also born today, the man who invented the battery, Alessandro Volta.
- February 18, 1838 is the birthday of the man who’s name is synonymous with the speed of sound, Ernst Mach.
- Co-founder of Bethlehem Steel and american business man, Charles M. Schwab was born today in 1862.
- Sharing that same birthday in 1898, Italian race car driver and founder of Ferrari, Enzo Ferrari.
- The cartoonist behind B.C. and the Wizard of Id, Johnny Hart was born today in 1931.
- and finally, happy birthday to several actors including Jack Palance, George Kennedy, John Tavolta, Vanna White, and Molly Ringwald.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 18, 2015
- Neil Armstrong caught taking things home from work
- Google knows you stink and wants to help
- Yoda will be in a balloon race – Doug in AU
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 18 – Ray Insalaco – Central Village, CT
- 19 – Scooter in Connecticut
- 19 – Steve in Sumter
- 23 – Zhadum
- 23 – Keith Hughes(a.k.a. EdGizmo)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- The Water-mobile
- Sent by listener Myron Dupler – This 25-Year-Old Computer Just Sold for $23,000 on eBay
- Mel Brooks still wants to make a Spaceballs sequel
- If this doesn’t help William Shatner’s ego complex…
- Feedback question: What would you build on a Raspberry Pi?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five