Coming up in this episode…
- Armageddon the movie could come true
- Where you can stick Windows 95
- And ISS mission 42 has a promotional idea
Click here for complete shownotes
- From Mark in Memphis regarding our final joke
- From Nick regarding my comment about October and December:
On This Day In History for October 8, 2014
October 8 is the 281st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 84 days remaining in 2014!
- It was on this date in 1582 that because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- A telegraph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco opens on this date in 1860.
- October 8, 1871 – Four major fires break out on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Peshtigo, Wisconsin, Holland, Michigan, and Manistee, Michigan including the Great Chicago Fire, and the much deadlier Peshtigo Fire.
- KDKA in Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game 93 years ago today.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Co-founder of Delta Air Lines, Collett E. Woolman, born on this date in 1889.
- Rev. Jesse Jackson turns 73 today.
- Comedian, actor, and screenwriter Chevy Chase is 71.
- Also turning 71, American author, screenwriter, and producer R. L. Stine.
- Actress and producer Sigourney Weaver, is 65.
- Other birthdays today include 64 year old Robert “Kool” Bell from Kool & the Gang.
- co-founder of Netflix, Reed Hastings turns 54
- and one year shy of three decades, American singer-songwriter, producer, and actor Bruno Mars
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 8, 2014
- Lotus 1-2-3 moves into that great recycle bin in the sky
- NASA is fetching an asteroid
- Woman arrested for possession of… Spaghetti-Os.
Listener Birthday Calendar
- Oct 09 – Itsuko Rumpke (sounds like IT – SUE – KOE)
- Oct 09 – Mario (New Jersey)
- Oct 10 – Victor Cajiao
- Oct 10 – Garrett Riffal
- Oct 11 – Bruce Barr
- Oct 13 – Jason Schwanz
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five