Coming up in this episode…
- PC User groups fading away
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for July 23, 2014
This is 204th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 161 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1829, in the United States, William Austin Burt patents the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter.
- That same date in 1903 the Ford Motor Company sells its first car.
- Fox Film buys the patents of the Movietone sound system for recording sound onto film on this date in 1926.
- Today in 1927 – The first station of the Indian Broadcasting Company goes on the air in Bombay.
- Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted, live transAtlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite 52 years ago today.
- It was also on this date in 1967 in Detroit, Michigan, one of the worst riots in United States history begins on 12th Street in the predominantly African American inner city. It will leave 43 killed, 342 injured and 1,400 buildings burned.
- The United States launches Landsat 1, the first Earth-resources satellite today in 1972.
- and 32 years ago today, The International Whaling Commission decides to end commercial whaling by 1985-86.
- Comet Hale–Bopp is discovered today in 1995; it will become visible to the naked eye nearly a year later.
- and today in 1997 – Digital Equipment Corporation files antitrust charges against chipmaker Intel.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French physicist and mathematician Étienne-Louis Malus, born on this date in 1775
- Aso born on this date in 1886, Swiss-German physicist Walter H. Schottky
- And finally astronomer Vera Rubin turns 86.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 23, 2014
- Kreg’s Friend Marc Points out…Influential PC User Group Dies
- ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ season 8 boldly goes from Twitter parody to book | The Verge
Listener Birthday Calendar
- July 26 – Aaron Heath (Adelaide, Australia)
- July 27 – Wife of Will The Computer Guy
- July 29 – Shaun Farrell, host of the Adventures in Scifi Publishing podcast
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Mad Marv lets us know about: 3D ice cream!
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Last Week
- Monty Python Live!
- It was Weird Al Week .. Last Week
- Futurama 3d (test shot) on Vimeo
- The 55 Essential Movies Your Child Must See (Before Turning 13) | PopWatch | EW.com
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at@Ctomasi,@Steppek, and@technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And evenGoogle Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five