Coming up in this episode…
- Judging internet people
- … And space
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for June 25, 2014
This is the 176th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 189 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1900 That the Daoist monk Wang Yuanlu discovers the Dunhuang manuscripts, a cache of ancient texts that are of great historical and religious significance, in the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang, China.
- That same date in 1910 – The United States Congress passes the Mann Act, which prohibits interstate transport of females for “immoral purposes”; the ambiguous language would be used to selectively prosecute people for years to come.
- Capt. Lowell H. Smith and Lt. John P. Richter perform the first ever aerial refueling in a DH-4B biplane on this date in 1923.
- June 25, 1944 – The final page of the comic Krazy Kat was published, exactly two months after its author George Herriman died.
- The Diary of a Young Girl (better known as The Diary of Anne Frank) is published today in 1947.
- 65 years ago today, Long-Haired Hare, starring Bugs Bunny, is released in theaters.
- Two cryptographers working for the United States National Security Agency left for vacation to Mexico, and from there defected to the Soviet Union. That was today in 1960.
- “Our World” becomes the first live global satellite television program. It was broadcast today in 1967
- On this date in 1981 – Microsoft is restructured to become an incorporated business in its home state of Washington.
- 17 years ago, an unmanned Progress spacecraft collides with the Russian space station Mir.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to
- Author George Orwell, born on this date in 1903
- Little Timmy’s Mom on “Lassie” and Maureen Robinson on “Lost in Space”, Actress June Lockhart turns 89 today
- singer-songwriter, actress, and author Carly Simon is 69 today
- and finally, Jimmie “Dy-no-mite” Walker is 67.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 25, 2014 Follow Up
Listener Birthday Calendar (June)
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 –Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, Pa
- 26 – Patrick Norton
- 26 – Daughter of Will The Computer Guy
- 29 – Martin McKeay (Accch, this is the Big 40!)
- 30 – Alexis Duran (ADdude)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Six-foot-tall Lego Bender hoards booze in its chest – CNET
- You Can Ride In Optimus Prime On Uber
- Phone-jamming cloak lets you be seen and not tracked
Shout out to the chat room Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout. Remember When
- Watch this rundown on the ‘Prehistory of Online Video’
- Vintage Computer Brochures Channel Your Inner Nerd
- This is What NASA’s Warp-Capable Enterprise Starship Would Look Like! | Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
Kreg – Went to HeroesCon End of Show Stuff We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at@Ctomasi,@Steppek, and@technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And evenGoogle Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more atFriendsInTech.com We’re also affiliated withFarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time. If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on theweb site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information. Tell a friend about Technorama and… binary high five