Coming up in this episode…
- Space Junk
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for March 26, 2014
This is March 26, it is the 85th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 280 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1636 that Utrecht University is founded in the Netherlands.
- The Book of Mormon is published in Palmyra, New York that same day in 1830
- March 26, 1931 – SwissAir is founded as the national airline of Switzerland.
- Today in 1934 – The driving test is introduced in the United Kingdom.
- The United States Army launches Explorer 3 on this date in 1958
- Let’s not forget just 17 years ago thirty-nine bodies are found in the Heaven’s Gate cult suicides.
- The “Melissa worm” infects Microsoft word processing and e-mail systems around the world today in 1999.
- And that very same day, although not entirely related, a jury in Michigan finds Dr. Jack Kevorkian guilty of
second-degree murder for administering a lethal injection to a terminally ill man.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Prokop Diviš, the Czech scientist who invented the lightning rod, born on this date in 1698
- also born on this date in 1773 American mathematician and navigator Nathaniel Bowditch
- Happy birthday to German mathematician Adolf Hurwitz, born today in 1859
- 1874 – Robert Frost, American poet and playwright
- 1875 – Max Abraham, German physicist
- 1879 – Othmar Ammann, Swiss-American engineer, designed the George Washington Bridge and Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
- 1914 – William Westmoreland, American general
- And if this is your birthday, like Chuck’s, you celebrate it with the likes of:
- 83 year old actor, director, and singer Leonard Nimoy (SINGER? REALLY?!)
- 74 year old actor James Caan
- 66 year old rocker from Aerosmith, Steven Tyler
- actor, screenwriter and producer Martin Short
- Actress Jennifer Grey
- and co-founder of Google Larry Page, who turns 41
And that’s the way it was on this day in history for March 26, 2014
Footnote: 1967 – Ten thousand people gather for one of many Central Park be-ins in New York City
Random thought: Wouldn’t computer protocols make a good band name? “SMTP” “LDAP” “SSO”
- New Australian research centre to remove space junk, save satellites and spacecraft – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) – From Douglas in Australia
Listener Birthday Calendar
- March 26 – Chuck Tomasi
- March 26 – Brina Baird in Hampton, VA
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle
Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Talk about the New Cosmos
- Kreg: Saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman
- Watch Gandalf Battle The Balrog In This Found Lord of the Rings Footage
Animated Gif of the Day
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five