Coming up in this episode…
- Back to the Future Sing-a-long
- Star Trek Predictions
- and also Predictions from the Jetson’s
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for February 12, 2014
February 12 is the 43rd day of the year. There are 322 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1851 that Edward Hargraves announces that he has found gold in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia,
starting the Australian gold rushes.
- It was that same date in 1909 that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is founded.
- In Washington, D.C., the first stone of the Lincoln Memorial is put into place today 100 years ago.
- A meteor creates an impact crater in Sikhote-Alin, in the Soviet Union on this date in 1947.
- 53 years ago today Soviet Union launches Venera 1 towards Venus.
- February 12, 1963 – Construction begins on the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.
- and it was on this date in 2001 that NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft touches down in the “saddle” region of 433 Eros,
becoming the first spacecraft to land on an asteroid.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French chemist Bernard Courtois born on this date in 1777.
- Also born on this date in 1785 – French physicist Pierre Louis Dulong
- Heinrich Lenz, the German physicist was born today in 1804
- Happy 205th birthday to English scientist and theorist Charles Darwin
- American lawyer and politician, 16th President of the United States Abraham Lincoln was also born on this date in 1809
- Co-founder of Renault, Louis Renault, was born February 12, 1877
- American-Canadian science fiction author Donald Kingsbury turns 85 today
- American engineer and author Ray Kurzweil is 66
- and finally actor and talk show host Arsenio Hall turns 58.
Don’t forget – it’s also Darwin Day!
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 12, 2014
Listener Birthday Calendar
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our
Hacks & Strange Stories
- This insane 7-foot Lego
Halo spaceship took 4 years to build
- Royal Caribbean uses
80-inch HDTVs to create ‘virtual balcony staterooms’
- How they made
electronic music 30 years ago
Shout out to the chat room Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- The FDA
Just Approved a PillCam The Jetsons Predicted 50 Years Ago
- Every Real-Life Technology
Star Trek Predicted
End of Show Stuff
Technorama Show #400 is coming up soon! Send us a voicemail! You’ve got a few weeks left. Get them in by March 5! We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at
- on Facebook at the
- And even
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at
FriendsInTech.com We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time. If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the website, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for
free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information. Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five