Coming up in this episode…
- Simon Pegg
- and Uranus
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- From: email@example.com
Subject: How the Commodore 128 was built
I came across this article from one of the guys at Commodore, Bill Herd, and his recollection on building the C128. Â Thought you guys would enjoy it. http://hackaday.com/2013/12/09/guest-post-the-real-story-of-hacking-together-the-commodore-c128/
On This Day In History for December 18, 2013
This is the 352nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 13 days remaining in 2013.
- It was on this date in 1642 that Abel Tasman becomes first European to land in New Zealand.
- The premiere performance of The Nutcracker by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky in Saint Petersburg, Russia was on that same date in 1892.
- That same date in 1898 – Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat sets the first officially recognized land speed record of 39.245 mph (63.159 km/h) in a Jeantaud electric car.
- The Piltdown Man, later discovered to be a hoax, is announced by Charles Dawson 101 years ago today.
- Project SCORE, the world’s first communications satellite, is launched on this date in 1958.
- December 18, 1966 – Saturn’s moon Epimetheus is discovered by Richard L. Walker.
- Soyuz 13, crewed by cosmonauts Valentin Lebedev and Pyotr Klimuk, is launched from Baikonur in the Soviet Union 40 years ago.
- Today in 1987 – Larry Wall releases the first version of the Perl programming language.
- 16 years ago today, HTML 4.0 is published by the World Wide Web Consortium.
- NASA launches into orbit the Terra platform carrying five Earth Observation instruments, including ASTER, CERES, MISR, MODIS and MOPITT on this date in 1999.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Swedish scientist and inventor Christopher Polhem born this date in 1661
- J. J. Thomson, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate was also born today in 1856
- Engineer and inventor of FM radio, Edwin Armstrong, was born on this date in 1890
- Also born today in 1934, Russian astronaut and engineer, Boris Volynov
- Celebrating his 70th birthday today is English singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, and actor Keith Richards
- Reaching his 67 today is director Steven Spielberg
- Actor and producer Brad Pitt turns 50 today
- and finally wrestler, actor, and producer Stone Cold Steve Austin is 49
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 18, 2013
- In Norway, all library books must be digitized — by law
- Simon Pegg will star in the brand new film from the Monty Python crew
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 20 – Phil Burchill (will be 0x21 in 2006)
- 21 – James Ballard KarakSindru
- 22 – Bo Pace
- 22 – Luke “Chuck’s Stalker” Smith (2000)
- 22 – Jason Pelloni, Tampa, FL
- 23 – Richard Green
- 24 – MaDBooM
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Was ‘Internet’ First Used For A Transistor Radio? | Mark Hill :: Antiques & Collectables Expert :: Author & Publisher
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- The secret origins of nerd, dork, and other things you’ve been called
- 26 Interesting Facts About Beer – mental_floss on YouTube (Ep.39) – YouTube
- Should we just rename Uranus already?
- Chuck: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- Don’t forget: noradsanta.org to track Santa on Christmas eve! <- There is an app for that!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Reminder: No show for Christmas week
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five