Coming up in this episode…
- …and Thomas Kinkade
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for November 6, 2013
This is November 6 it is the 310th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 55 days remaining in 2013.
- It was on this date in 1528 that shipwrecked Spanish conquistador Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca becomes the first known European to set foot in Texas.
- It was on that same date in 1865 that the CSS Shenandoah is the last Confederate combat unit to surrender after circumnavigating the globe on a cruise on which it sank or captured 37 unarmed merchant vessels.
- Also today in 1935 – Edwin Armstrong presents his paper “A Method of Reducing Disturbances in Radio Signaling by a System of Frequency Modulation” to the New York section of the Institute of Radio Engineers.
- First flight of the Hawker Hurricane was on this date in 1935.
- Parker Brothers acquires the forerunner patents for MONOPOLY from Elizabeth Magie on that same date in 1935.
- Plutonium is first produced at the Hanford Atomic Facility and subsequently used in the Fat Man atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan. What year was that? I’ll tell you – 1944
- and 42 years ago today, the United States Atomic Energy Commission tests the largest U.S. underground hydrogen bomb, code-named Cannikin, on Amchitka Island in the Aleutians.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Actress Sally Field who turns 67.
- Born on the same date two years later, singer-songwriter, guitarist for the Eagles, and actor Glenn Frey
- Turning 58 today, journalist and wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger – Maria Shriver
- and finally, celebrating his 55th birthday today, the man who played Doctor Clayton Forrester and voiced Crow T. Robot on MST3K, Trace (BO-lee-oh) Beaulieu
And for what it’s worth – Saturday November 9th is Carl Sagan’s birthday – so wear a turtleneck sweater or something.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 6, 2013
- Captain Kirk to command a Navy Destroyer – from listener John
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 08 – Mark, the Encaffeinated ONE, host of The Weird Show
- 08 – OnTheDrift
- 10 – John Noble from the Island
- 13 – Pippa (London UK)
- 13 – Jennifer Therrien (Canada)
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- FULL Size Millennium Falcon WIP by Greg Dietrich for Chris Lee
- Taste The Rainbow: A Life-Size Unicorn Cake | Geekologie
- Crazy Man Puts Computer Inside Arm (Without Help From Doctors)
Don’t Forget…Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- 8 Unfortunate Vintage Candy Wrappers
- How physics ended the night time radio war between the US and Mexico
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five