Coming up in this episode…
- Vatican Hijinx
- Weight loss for computers
- Promises the 80’s made us
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Avner – Yes
- Weber – Show Titles
I have been out of touch (long story) for a while. So this may not be a new idea. Have you considered asking listeners for show titles? then you would be responsible for finding a way to fit that into the show (or not). Here are some examples: “What is it? …..It’s green!” “Use the Forks, Luke!” “Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries” (might be split into back to back shows. “Me Bairns, mo poor bairns” “Beam me back down, Scotty” “I’m a podcaster, not a doctor” “ni” Jus a thought Weber
On This Day In History for October 23, 2013
This is October 23, 2013. It is the 296th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 69 days remaining in 2013.
- It was on this date in 1906 that Alberto Santos-Dumont flies an airplane in the first heavier-than-air flight in Europe at Champs de Bagatelle, Paris, France.
- That same date in 1911 was the first use of aircraft in war: An Italian pilot takes off from Libya to observe Turkish army lines during the Turco-Italian War.
- Also on October 23, 1929 – The first North American transcontinental air service begins between New York City and Los Angeles, California.
- 55 years ago The Smurfs, appear for the first time in the story La flute à six schtroumpfs.
- Gary Gabelich sets a land speed record in a rocket-powered automobile called the Blue Flame, fueled with natural gas today in 1970.
- and one year ago today – After 38 years, the world’s first teletext service (BBC’s Ceefax) ceases broadcast due to Northern Ireland completing the digital switchover.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- American actor Gummo Marx born on this date in 1893
- The man for whom the Fujita wind speed scale is named – Japanese meteorologist Ted Fujita, born today in 1920
- TV host Johnny Carson was born on this date in 1925
- Also born today in 1942 – author, screenwriter, director and producer Michael Crichton
- Director Sam Raimi turns 54 today
- Also turning 54, singer-songwriter, comedian, and actor “Weird Al” Yankovic
- and Grant Imahara of the Mythbusters turns 43
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 23, 2013
- The Vatican misspells “Jesus” on a coin – from MadMarv
- Reminds me of Homer not believing in “Jebus”
- Asteroid could hit us in 2032
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Happy Birthday to:
- 25 – Mad Marv – spelled “K – Y – L – E” but pronounced “Marv”. Hope that helps.
- 25 – HMNSHLD
- 25 – BritOnTour (Jason)
- 25 – Scott (Minneapolis)
- 28 – Dylan Licata (San Antonio)
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Watched Gremlins the other night for Halloween
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five