In this episode…
- Man dressed as Chewy frightens Ewoks
- Super heroes have super debt
- Boy fights for grade over info on The Big Bang Theory
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 01 – Amber Elstad
- 03 – Ken Pace
- 03 – Craig Glassner (aka Ranger Craig)
- 04 – Avner (from Tel Aviv)
- 05 – Michael Corlett (from New Zealand)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for October 31, 2012
- It was on this date in 1517 that Martin Luther posts his 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, starting the Protestant Reformation.
- Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state on this date 148 years ago.
- It was also today in 1913 that saw the dedication of the Lincoln Highway, the first automobile road across United States.
- Magician Harry Houdini died of gangrene and peritonitis that developed after his appendix ruptured 86 years ago on Halloween.
- It was October 31, 1941 – After 14 years of work, Mount Rushmore is completed.
- 13 years ago, yachtsman Jesse Martin returns to Melbourne after 11 months of circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop and unassisted.
- Soyuz TM-31 launches, on this date in 2000, carrying the first resident crew to the International Space Station. The ISS has been continuously crewed since.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- German mathematician Karl Weierstraß, born today in 1815
- also born on this date in 1860, American founder of the Girl Scouts Juliette Low
- American singer and actress Dale Evans was born 100 years ago
- American astronaut Michael Collins turns 82 today
- English physicist Paul Frampton celebrates his 69th birthday
- Canadian comedian and actor John Candy would have been 62 today
- and finally American rapper Vanilla Ice turns 45.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 31, 2012
Nest Thermostat from Steve –
Hey guys, I have the Nest thermostats. They are awesome. Here are a couple screenshots of the app from my iPhone. Chuck should definitely watch the Nest video on their site.
It sets up pretty easily. It is connected to my WPA enabled wifi. All of my temperature controls are available via the web as well as with the app. The app, site, and Nest will also show my historical usage for the last 10 days. Also, the thermostat will go into auto-away mode on its own when we leave the house for several hours or I can just choose Away with the app.
Long time listener,
Steve in South Carolina – Columbia, SC
Hacks & Strange Stories
What the Chuck!
- I know our listeners are smarter than this – 2012 most popular passwords
- How do toilets work on airplanes?
End of Show Stuff
- U.S. Citizens – Don’t forget to vote next Tuesday!
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information. Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five