In this episode…
- Turkeys solving the mysteries of the universe
- A cross between Batman and SuperGirl
- Genes genes genes
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 22 – Zoidberg 
- 22 – Kyle Slingo
- 25 – David “Grizzly” Smith from Grizzly’s Growls podcasts
- 27 – Chuck’s forgotten iPod
- 27 – Mike Noble
- 30 – Maximilian Björsten, Stockholm Sweden
- 31 – Tim Downing from The High Potency Music Podcast
- 05 – Ben Vaughan (benvon) 
- 06 – Susan Murph (SusietheGeek) How to Grow Your Geek Podcast
- 10 – Anthony Warnack (EastBayAnt) 
- 14 – Andrew Peters (Perl Hacker from the UK)
- 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for September 12, 2012
This is the 256th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar, there are 110 days remaining in 2012.
- It was on this date in 1609 that Henry Hudson begins his exploration of the Hudson River while aboard the Halve Maen.
- Also today in 1940 – Cave paintings are discovered in Lascaux, France.
- Strange occurrences, including a monster sighting, take place in Flatwoods, West Virginia on this date in 1952.
- It was September 12, 1958 that Jack Kilby demonstrates the first integrated circuit.
- Today in 1959 saw the Premiere of Bonanza, the first regularly scheduled TV program presented in color.
- The very same date – The Soviet Union launches a large rocket, Lunik II, at the moon.
- 48 years ago Canyonlands National Park is designated as a National Park.
- It was today in 1966 that NASA Gemini 11, the penultimate mission of NASA’s Gemini program, and the current human altitude record holder launches today.
- 20 years ago today NASA launches Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-47 which marked the 50th shuttle mission. On board are Mae Carol Jemison, the first African-American woman in space,Mamoru Mohri, the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spaceship, and Mark Lee and Jan Davis, the first married couple in space.
- And today in 2005 – Hong Kong Disneyland opens in Penny’s Bay, Lantau Island, Hong Kong.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- French astronomer Guillaume Le Gentil, born on this date in 1725
- also born today in 1885 German photographer Heinrich Hoffmann
- French physicist and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Irene Joliot-Curie was born today in 1897
- and actress Erin Gray turns 62
Shout out: Listener Nicholas St. Gabriel and his family are raising money to adopt a baby from China. If you would like to help them visit his Indigogo page for more information
- Space Shuttle Endeavour hitching a ride atop a 747 to its new home on September 17
- Estonians start programming early
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Local listener Brad Miller creates PC out of old TV
- Found this empty shell of a 1950’s admiral tv at a resale store.. add one 17″ CRT monitor and one small PC, a great conversation piece! Had the perfect sized strong shelves inside and made of heavy duty bakelite.
- Star Trek Enterprise D Bridge Restoration
- Here they come, robots that can run us down
- 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Star Trek: The Original Series
- Have a listen to our MiSTie version of ST:TOS This Side of Paradise
- Movie titles with one letter removed
What the Chuck!
- My “caption this” idea has already been taken
What the Kreg!
- Saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX Saturday
- Harrison spotted R2 and C3PO in the Well of Souls
- The Hanger scene isn’t so menacing since you know what it is 🙂
- Write up from Krishna
End of Show Stuff
Interview coming from Dr. Robert Nemiroff – one of the two people behind APOD.
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the website, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five