Coming up in this episode…
- An alarming alarm clock
- An awesome children’s book
- Given a choice, what would YOU have named the transistor?
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- Sep 05 – Ben Vaughan (benvon) 
- Sep 06 – Susan Murph (SusietheGeek) How to Grow Your Geek Podcast
- Sep 10 – Anthony Warnack (EastBayAnt) 
- Sep 14 – Andrew Peters (Perl Hacker from the UK)
- Sep 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
- Bruce Barr – Sci-Fi theme
On This Day In History
- It was on this date in 1682 that Bishop Gore School, one of the oldest schools in Wales, is founded.
- The British Empire adopts the Gregorian calendar today in 1752 – skipping eleven days (the previous day was September 2).
- Groundbreaking for the United Nations headquarters in New York City was today in 1948
- and today in 1959, The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.
- Joe Kittinger becomes the first person to fly a hot air balloon alone across the Atlantic Ocean 27 years ago.
- and it was today in 1998 that Telecommunications companies MCI Communications and WorldCom complete their $37 billion merger to form MCI WorldCom.
Happy Birthday goes out this date to
- Danish geographer Claudius Clavus, born today in 1388
- German alchemist Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa was born in 1486
- in 1713, Johann Kies, the German mathematician
- also born today in 1837 – Nikolai Bugaev, the Russian mathematician
- another Russian mathematician, Ivan Matveyevich Vinogradov, was born in 1891
- Archaeologist Ernest Nash was born today in 1898
- also born today in 1909 –British naturalist and explorer Peter Scott
- The Lone Ranger, actor Clayton Moore was born today in 1914
- It must be mathematician birthday because Argentine mathematician Alberto Calderón was born today in 1920
- Happy birthday to ST:TOS Mr. Sulu, Walter Koenig turns 75 today
- and also turning 75 today is Ferid Murad, the American physician and pharmacologist, and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
And that’s the way it was, on this day in History for September 14, 2011
Hacks & Strange Stories
What the Chuck!
What the Kreg!
- Here are some pictures from us at Dragon*Con via my Flickr Favs..Do you know of any? or have some?
- Awesome children’s book: That’s Not Your Mommy Anymore
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five