Coming up in this episode…
- Are social network devices going too far?
- Klingon Monopoly could be the last game you’ll ever lose
- You won’t believe what Grandma is selling on the Internet now
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 05 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
- 05 – Charles Stricklin – former host of the WordPress Podcast
- 06 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 06 – Bill Barbour
- 06 – Steve Bickle
- 08 – Curtis Parish
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On this day in history for May 4, 2011
- It was on this date in 1493 that Pope Alexander VI divides the New world between Spain and Portugal along the Line of Demarcation.
- Also on May 4, 1494 – Christopher Columbus lands in Jamaica.
- King Charles II of England orders the construction of the Royal Greenwich Observatory on this date in 1675.
- And it was today in 1859 that the Cornwall Railway opens across the Royal Albert Bridge linking the countries of Devon and Cornwall in England.
- Another construction anniversary – today in 1904, the United States begins construction of the Panama Canal.
- It was May 4, 1953 that Ernest Hemingway was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for The Old Man and the Sea.
- The PEPCON disaster rocks Henderson, Nevada today in 1988 as tons of space shuttle fuel detonates during a fire.
Happy Birthday goes out on this date to:
- English scientist Thomas Henry Huxley, born today in 1825
- and also born today in 1827, British Explorer John Hanning Speke.
Finally, don’t forget – it’s Star Wars Day – May the 4th be with you! Check maythe4th.starwars.com for an announcement on May 4th, unless it’s a hoax.
And that’s the way it was on this day in History for May 4th, 2011
- Technorama has been nominated for a Parsec!
- Best Speculative Fiction Comedy/Parody Podcast
- Best Fact Behind the Fiction Podcast
- What clips do you remember from the past year that we should include in our submission?
- Grandma is selling suicide kits online
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Not everything has to twitter my life’s habits
- This week I saw the Twitter weight set
- You might be familiar with the Twitter bathroom scale
- What’s next?
- Methane detectors that twitter noxious gas levels?
- Beer bottles that twitter my favorite beverage?
- something more mundane like my van’s tire pressure?
- Carp Hunters – don’t try this at home
- People swallow the darnedest things
- What’s something odd you swallowed? (keep it clean!)
- Hooker steals laptop after client steals sex
- Superman renounces his U.S. Citizenship
- Wonder twins also giving up on the ASPCA & US Hydrological Association
- Aquaman no longer endorsing the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- and Captain America is also having talks with his lawyer to make his brand to a more globally friendly
- FYI .. Free Comic Book Day is May 7th! This Saturday! Take your kids out to find some American Superman while you can!
What the Chuck!
- Royal wedding – it was a beautiful ceremony
- I didn’t know it was going to be “crazy hat day” for all the women
- I feel sorry for Kate Middleton’s father – isn’t the father of the bride supposed to pay for the wedding?
- Saturday morning was a real eye opener for the royal couple – royal morning breath, royal bed head, you know – all those nice little surprises (royal gas, royal who-forgot-to-put-the-lid-down)
What the Kreg!
- Clicker Remote and Bells on my shoes
- Office Propaganda
- Klingon Monopoly
- The Ferengi are also in talks with Parker Brothers
- The zombie proof house
We ran out of time, but trust us and check these out…
- Old timey Star Trek and Star Wars photos
- High tech surgical robot playing Operation
- Researchers build robots inspired by caterpillars
- Possible back story to the “mudflap girl”
- iPad Predicted in 1994 (Video)
- World’s first Gatling slingshot crossbow
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Parsec nominations are open, while we still haven’t figured out why Technorama was nominated, we’d appreciate a nomination for Interface To Face in one of the two following categories:
- Best Speculative Fiction Fan or News Podcast (General)
- Best Fact Behind the Fiction Podcast
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five