Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Question of the Week: You gain the ability to stop time. After stopping time, what’s the first thing you’re going to do?
On This Day In History for January 22, 2020
This is the 22nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 344 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1889, that Columbia Phonograph is formed in Washington, D.C.
- That same date in 1927, Teddy Wakelam gives the first live radio commentary of a football match anywhere in the world, between Arsenal F.C. and Sheffield United at Highbury.
- It was on this date in 1946, that Creation of the Central Intelligence Group, forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Also today in 1947, KTLA, the first commercial television station west of the Mississippi River, begins operation in Hollywood.
- It was 52 years ago today, that Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- Also today in 1970, The Boeing 747, the world’s first “jumbo jet,” enters commercial service for launch customer Pan American Airways with its maiden voyage from John F. Kennedy International Airport to London Heathrow Airport.
- It was on this date in 1973, that The crew of Apollo 17 addresses a joint session of Congress after the completion of the final Apollo moon landing mission.
- Also on January 22, 1984, The Apple Macintosh, the first consumer computer to popularize the computer mouse and the graphical user interface, is introduced during a Super Bowl XVIII television commercial.
- The space shuttle Discovery launches on STS-42 carrying Dr. Roberta Bondar, who becomes the first Canadian woman and the first neurologist in space on this date in 1992.
- January 22, 1998, space shuttle Endeavor launches on STS-89 to dock with the Russian space station Mir.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English poet, soldier, courtier, and explorer, Walter Raleigh, born on this date in 1552.
- Born January 22, 1592, French mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher Pierre Gassendi.
- American director, producer, and screenwriter, D. W. Griffith was born 145 years ago today.
- Hungarian mathematician and academic, Frigyes Riesz, born on this date in 1880.
- American singer-songwriter, Sam Cooke was born 89 years ago today.
- Bill Bixby, the American actor and director was born 86 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1936, American physicist and chemist, Nobel Prize laureate, Alan J. Heeger.
- John Hurt, the English actor was born 80 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, American singer-songwriter and producer, Steve Perry.
- American captain, pilot, and astronaut, Thomas David Jones, born on this date in 1955.
- American DJ and producer, DJ Jazzy Jeff is 55 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1968, American chef, author, and television host, Guy Fieri.
- English-American singer-songwriter and actress, Olivia d’Abo, born on this date in 1969.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 22, 2020
- 15 – Ralph Whitfield (aka GoofyRalph)
- 17 – fuffy_frog (aka Kristina) originally from Canada but now from Thailand
- 21 – Michael Rabalais – Stingray42
- 22 – TAW012294
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 23 – Keith Lane from TGGeeks
- 24 – Cynthia Fry
- 25 – Kreg Steppe
- 26 – Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- 27 – Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Watch SpaceX Blow Up a Falcon 9 Rocket to Prove It’s Safe for People | WIRED
- Google’s Sundar Pichai doesn’t want you to be clear-eyed about AI’s dangers | TechCrunch
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
|Matt Baum||Kristina||Brian Brown|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Vintage Comic Book Covers For Each Episode Of The Mandalorian – Geekologie
- Dad Builds Custom Xbox Adaptive Controller So Daughter Can Play Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
Kreg and his Star Trek Experience
Question of the week:
- What’s very cheap today but will be very expensive in 20 years?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five