Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- What is the most “glitch in the matrix” experience you’ve ever had?
On This Day In History for December 4, 2019
This is the 338th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 27 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1791, that The first edition of The Observer, the world’s first Sunday newspaper, is published.
- That same date in 1861, The 109 Electors of the several states of the Confederate States of America unanimously elect Jefferson Davis as President and Alexander H. Stephens as Vice President.
- On December 4, 1865, North Carolina ratifies 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, followed soon by Georgia, and U.S. slaves were legally free within 2 weeks.
- The crewless American ship Mary Celeste was found by the Canadian brig Dei Gratia. The ship had been abandoned for nine days but was only slightly damaged on this date in 1872.
- December 4, 1881, The first edition of the Los Angeles Times is published.
- By a vote of 65 -7, the United States Senate approves United States participation in the United Nations. (The UN had been established on October 24, 1945.) on this date in 1945.
- That same date in 1954, The first Burger King is opened in Miami, Florida.
- It was on this date in 1956, that The Million Dollar Quartet (Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash) get together at Sun Studio for the first and last time.
- The Grateful Dead’s first concert performance under this new name on this date in 1965.
- That same date in 1965, Launch of Gemini 7 with crew members Frank Borman and Jim Lovell. The Gemini 7 spacecraft was the passive target for the first crewed space rendezvous performed by the crew of Gemini 6A.
- Also today in 1991, Pan American World Airways ceased its operations after 64 years.
- Also on December 4, 1998, The Unity Module, the second module of the International Space Station, is launched.
- On December 4, 2017, The Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan has been imploded, after a day of failure to be imploded. It is about 30 miles from Detroit, Michigan. It first opened on August 23, 1975.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American bacteriologist and geneticist, Nobel Prize laureate, Alfred Hershey, born on this date in 1908.
- Pappy Boyington, American colonel and pilot, Medal of Honor recipient was born on that same date in 1912.
- American game show host and producer, Wink Martindale, born on this date in 1933.
- American actor, Jeff Bridges is 70 today.
- American computer programmer and author, Eric S. Raymond, born on this date in 1957.
- Also turning 55 today is American actress Marisa Tomei.
- 06 – SuperMoonMan
- 07 – Peter aka Zzippster from the Zzipp and Co. Podcast, Weymouth, Dorset, UK
- 08 – DanDman
- 08 – Gydian (Michael H.)
- 09 – Steve Kite (BigUnit62)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 4, 2019
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Russian dairy farmers give cows VR goggles with hopes they would be happier and make better milk – CNN
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Lego Will Turn Guests Into Minifigures at Its New Theme Park
- Can Artificial Intelligence find new planets for us? – Sciworthy
- Abstaining From Social Media Doesn’t Improve Well-Being, Experimental Study Finds – Research Digest
- Norbert Schemm, 87-year-old Wisconsin man, gets final wish to have beer with his sons – CBS News
Question of the week:
- What was your biggest “aaaahhh that’s how that works” moment?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five