Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Chuck Tomasi – What was that toy that you just couldn’t live…
- Kreg Steppe – Technorama Question of the Week: What was that toy…
- Chuck – What statistic blew your mind?
On This Day In History for August 28, 2019
This is the 240th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 125 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1609, Henry Hudson discovered Delaware Bay.
- That same date in 1789, William Herschel discovers a new moon of Saturn later named Enceladus.
- It was on this date in 1830, that The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s new Tom Thumb steam locomotive races a horse-drawn car, presaging steam’s role in U.S. railroads.
- Also today in 1845, The first issue of Scientific American magazine is published.
- The Carrington event is the strongest geomagnetic storm on record to strike the Earth. Electrical telegraph service is widely disrupted on this date in 1859.
- It was also this date in 1867 that The United States takes possession of the (at this point unoccupied) Midway Atoll.
- Also today in 1898, Caleb Bradham’s beverage “Brad’s Drink” is renamed “Pepsi-Cola”.
- That same date in 1937, Toyota Motors becomes an independent company.
- Also on August 28, 1993, The Galileo spacecraft discovers a moon, later named Dactyl, around 243 Ida, the first known asteroid moon.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and philosopher, Antoine Augustin Cournot, born on this date in 1801.
- Italian-American engineer, Secondo Campini was born 115 years ago today.
- Dutch-American mathematician and economist Nobel Prize laureate, Tjalling Koopmans, born on this date in 1910.
- Born August 28, 1913, American businessman, founded the Dreyfus Corporation Jack Dreyfus.
- Jack Kirby, American author and illustrator was born on that same date in 1917.
- Canadian physicist and engineer, John Herbert Chapman was born 98 years ago today.
- Also turning 80 today is English mathematician and academic John Kingman.
- American actor and singer, David Soul is 76 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1965, Canadian singer-songwriter, Shania Twain.
- American actor and comedian, Jack Black, born on this date in 1969.
- Also born on that same date in 1969, Canadian actor, director, and producer, Jason Priestley.
- Also turning 45 today is Swedish game designer and programmer Johan Andersson.
- August –
- 30 – Maximilian Björsten, Stockholm Sweden
- 31 – Tim Downing
- 01 – David Kloempken
- 02 – Scott Tyler
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 28, 2019
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- NASA investigating first alleged crime in space after accusation – Business Insider
- Complex quantum teleportation achieved for the first time
- Employees connect nuclear plant to the internet so they can mine cryptocurrency | ZDNet
- Incredible Images Show Something Uncannily Familiar About The Rocks on Asteroid Ryugu
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- What Would Happen If the Whole Internet Just Shut Down All of a Sudden?
- Four Years Later, Star Wars Fan Isn’t Done With His Death Star II Diorama
Question of the week
- Finish this sentence: I’d be rich if I had a dollar every time…
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five