Not sure what happened to the previous post, but it was the wrong audio file. Here is the correct audio. Sorry! Thanks. 🙂
Coming up in this episode…
- and More Space
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Postcard from Jorge
- Postcard from Liisa
- Shari E Mosser. Sandwick
Long time listener…OK, but not for a while. Kids make me more of a stealth geek now.
Anyway, I run ND’s part of the Letters About Literature contest. I want to promote it using the Letters song you guys use for feedback. However, my Google Fu is failing me hardcore.
Where did you guys find it?
- Claudio Miranda
Hey fellas! I’m not dead yet!
I hope this makes it to the show tonight. If not, there’s always next week I guess. Nevertheless, I thought I’d share this one with you guys being the Unix geek/nerd that I am. Found this one on reddit. It’s a touched up BSD vs System V “Death Star” poster from back in the day when AT&T was suing BSD (aka, Berkeley Software Design). I’d love to get a full-size version of this bad boy if they ever remake it.
Still listening after all these years (that explains a lot of things…must be the Izerol, lol).
On This Day In History for November 7, 2018
This is the 311st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 54 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1492, that The Ensisheim meteorite, the oldest meteorite with a known date of impact, strikes the Earth around noon in a wheat field outside the village of Ensisheim, Alsace, France.
- The London Gazette, the oldest surviving journal, is first published on this date in 1665.
- That same date in 1885, The completion of Canada’s first transcontinental railway is symbolized by the Last Spike ceremony at Craigellachie, British Columbia.
- November 7, 1908, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are reportedly killed in San Vicente Canton, Bolivia.
- On November 7, 1910, The first air freight shipment (from Dayton, Ohio, to Columbus, Ohio) is undertaken by the Wright brothers and department store owner Max Moorehouse.
- Also on November 7, 1940, In Tacoma, Washington, the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapses in a windstorm, a mere four months after the bridge’s completion.
- It was on this date in 1944, that Franklin D. Roosevelt elected for a record fourth term as President of the United States of America.
- It was also this date in 1967 that US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967, establishing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- Also today in 1991, Magic Johnson announces that he is infected with HIV and retires from the NBA.
- It was also this date in 1994 that WXYC, the student radio station of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, provides the world’s first internet radio broadcast.
- Also on November 7, 1996, NASA launches the Mars Global Surveyor.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Polish chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize laureate, Marie Curie, born on this date in 1867.
- Philip Morrison, American astrophysicist and academic was born on that same date in 1915.
- New Zealand astronomer and academic, Gerard F. Gilmore, born on this date in 1951.
- American actor, Christopher Knight is 61 today.
- American actress, Dana Plato, born on this date in 1964.
- 08 – Mark, the Encaffeinated ONE, host of The Weird Show
- 08 – OnTheDrift
- 10 – John Noble from the Island
- 13 – Pippa (London UK)
- 13 – Jennifer Therrien (Canada)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 7, 2018
- SpaceX’s ‘Starman’ and His Tesla Roadster Are Now Beyond Mars
- The Kepler space telescope’s end has finally come
- Real Moon Rocks Expected to Fetch Up to $1 Million at Auction
- NASA’s Parker Solar Probe Just Smashed Two Records in a Single Day
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Your brain waves could soon replace passwords entirely
- For The First Time, Physicists Created a ‘Fifth’ State of Matter in Space
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Your name here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Poetry gone wrong
- My Love is like a red, red rose: English> Czech> Bulgarian> Kannada> Norwegian> Russian> Polish> Irish> Kannada> English
|O my Luve is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June;
O my Luve is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.
So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.
Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only luve!
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile.
|My moon is red, rose red
This happened in June.
My moon is beautiful
These are sweet melodies.
You are beautiful, my friend,
I was very surprised
And I will defend you, honey,
Although the sea group is dry.
Although the seabed is dry,
I love you now, honey,
Even if the sand works.
And you, only one!
I still come, honey,
Although it was ten miles a kilometer.
Question of the week:
- What is your most disappointing purchase you thought was going to be awesome?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five