Coming up in this episode…
- Steve Jobs
- Ancient Die
- Did we mention we are back?
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Video is in 2 parts….sorry.
- If you were dropped off in 1870, what job would you be qualified to do?
On This Day In History for March 21, 2018
This is the 80th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 285 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1871, that Journalist Henry Morton Stanley begins his trek to find the missionary and explorer David Livingstone.
- Also today in 1925, The Butler Act prohibits the teaching of human evolution in Tennessee.
- It was 90 years ago today, that Charles Lindbergh is presented with the Medal of Honor for the first solo transAtlantic flight.
- It was also this date in 1963 that Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary (in California) closes.
- NASA launches Ranger 9, the last in a series of unmanned lunar space probes on this date in 1965.
- 53 years ago today, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. leads 3,200 people on the start of the third and finally successful civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
- Also today in 1970, The first Earth Day proclamation is issued by Joseph Alioto, Mayor of San Francisco.
- Also on March 21, 1994, The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change enters into force.
- Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones become the first to circumnavigate the Earth in a hot air balloon on this date in 1999.
- It was 12 years ago today, that The social media site Twitter is founded.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American inventor, Mary Dixon Kies, born on this date in 1752.
- Joseph Fourier, the French mathematician and physicist was born 250 years ago today.
- Born March 21, 1839, Russian pianist and composer Modest Mussorgsky.
- American astronomer and astrophysicist, Antonia Maury, born on this date in 1866.
- George David Birkhoff, the American mathematician was born 134 years ago today.
- Jewish-Austrian mathematician, physicist, and philosopher from the Vienna Circle, Friedrich Waismann was born 122 years ago today.
- Forrest Mars, Sr., American candy maker, created M&M’s and Mars bar was born on that same date in 1904.
- American businessman, co-founded E & J Gallo Winery, Julio Gallo, born on this date in 1910.
- Born March 21, 1911, African-American scientist and inventor Walter Lincoln Hawkins.
- Russ Meyer, American director, producer, and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1922.
- Born March 21, 1927, American-German astronomer and critic Halton Arp.
- American physicist and chemist, Nobel Prize laureate, Walter Gilbert is 86 today.
- Also turning 72 today is Welsh-English actor Timothy Dalton.
- American singer-songwriter and guitarist, Eddie Money, born on this date in 1949.
- Also turning 65 today is English computer scientist and academic Steve Furber.
- Also born on that same date in 1962, American actor, Matthew Broderick.
- American actress, producer, and talk show host, Rosie O’Donnell is 56 today.
- 21 – “Krazy Joe” Fiore, MegaPodtastic
- 23 – Steve Riekeberg a.k.a. MissingIntellect of Geek Cred
- 23 – Richard Parkman
- 25 – Nicholas St Gabriel
- 26 – Chuck Tomasi
- 26 – Brina Baird in Hampton, VA
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 21, 2018
- Google Maps using landmarks, what’s next?!
- NASA wants your pictures of clouds to verify its satellites’ data
- Steve Jobs’ Half-Assed Job Application Sells for $174,000
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Ancient d20 die emerges from the ashes of time – CNET
- Qbert broken by machine learning in a way no human ever would – Business Insider
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Megapodtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Take a Star Wars quote and swap out one word with sausage
- Play Joust, Robotron: 2048, and other classic games at Ready Player One’s online arcade – The Verge
Question of the week
- What is your first memory?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five